Connection to internet not working....

Post by Ashi » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 15:11:11

Hello !

       Being a newbie on Linux, I know it is something very basic I am
missing but I just cannot make my Linux to dial up to my ISP
(Earthlink) and connect to the internet. Here is what I have done:

       I just installed Red Hat Linux on my PC and have configured it
so that it directly opens up X. I then started linxconf and then went
into Client tasks --> PPP/SLIP/PLIP and clicked on PPP. There I
entered the phone no. of the ISP server, login name, password and
Modem Port (it is /dev/ttyS1 corresponding to COM2). Isn't this all
that I have to do? When I click 'Connect' it tries for some time and
says:

" The command /sbin/ifup pp0 is taking longer than expected to
complete"

       Still, optimistically, I open up Netscape browser but obviously
find it not 'online'.

       What am I missing? How do I know that Linux has 'recognized'
modem and is at least trying to dial up? Do I have to enter some
Adapter information in 'Basic Host Information' or what?

       Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Ashish.

Connection to internet not working....

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:48:57

Quote:> Hello !

>        Being a newbie on Linux, I know it is something very basic I am
> missing but I just cannot make my Linux to dial up to my ISP
> (Earthlink) and connect to the internet. Here is what I have done:

>        I just installed Red Hat Linux on my PC and have configured it
> so that it directly opens up X. I then started linxconf and then went
> into Client tasks --> PPP/SLIP/PLIP and clicked on PPP. There I
> entered the phone no. of the ISP server, login name, password and
> Modem Port (it is /dev/ttyS1 corresponding to COM2). Isn't this all
> that I have to do? When I click 'Connect' it tries for some time and
> says:

> " The command /sbin/ifup pp0 is taking longer than expected to
> complete"

>        Still, optimistically, I open up Netscape browser but obviously
> find it not 'online'.

>        What am I missing? How do I know that Linux has 'recognized'
> modem and is at least trying to dial up? Do I have to enter some
> Adapter information in 'Basic Host Information' or what?

>        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.
> Ashish.

Which RedHat?

And try installing and running "minicom" first, to make sure you can talk to
the modem, or installing and running HylaFAX (www.hylafax.org) with the
command "faxaddmodem".

Do you have /dev/modem symbolically linked to /dev/ttyS1 (some software uses
/dev/modem by default)?

Is your modem external or internal? If internal, it may be a Winmodem, and
only a few Winmodems have Linux drivers available. Alternatively, if it's a
PnP device, you may need to set up isapnp to preset the modem correctly for
your use.

Post by Jon Roo » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:19:10

> Hello !

>        Being a newbie on Linux, I know it is something very basic I am
> missing but I just cannot make my Linux to dial up to my ISP
> (Earthlink) and connect to the internet. Here is what I have done:

>        I just installed Red Hat Linux on my PC and have configured it
> so that it directly opens up X. I then started linxconf and then went
> into Client tasks --> PPP/SLIP/PLIP and clicked on PPP. There I
> entered the phone no. of the ISP server, login name, password and
> Modem Port (it is /dev/ttyS1 corresponding to COM2). Isn't this all
> that I have to do? When I click 'Connect' it tries for some time and
> says:

> " The command /sbin/ifup pp0 is taking longer than expected to
> complete"

>        Still, optimistically, I open up Netscape browser but obviously
> find it not 'online'.

>        What am I missing? How do I know that Linux has 'recognized'
> modem and is at least trying to dial up? Do I have to enter some
> Adapter information in 'Basic Host Information' or what?

>        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.
> Ashish.

What happens when you click 'Connect'?  Can you hear the modem dial
out?  If it does, then you have the modem set up OK.
Does a modem on the other end pick up, or does it just keep ringing?  If
no pick-up, verify the phone number, watch out for area code, and
prefixes (9 or 1) that might be set.
If your modem does not appear to be dialing out:
What kind of modem do you have?  i.e. is it a PCI modem?  If so, most of
these are what are called 'Winmodems' and are not compatible with
Linux.  Your safest bet might be to go buy an ISA bus modem and install
that.

Good luck,
Jon

Post by Clifford Kit » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:57:17

> " The command /sbin/ifup pp0 is taking longer than expected to
> complete"
>        Still, optimistically, I open up Netscape browser but obviously
> find it not 'online'.
>        What am I missing? How do I know that Linux has 'recognized'
> modem and is at least trying to dial up? Do I have to enter some
> Adapter information in 'Basic Host Information' or what?
>        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A configuration program, especially when the script to bring up a PPP
link gives such a simplistic message, is no subsitute for knowledge
about what is done by the programs that actually create the PPP link.

Try reading

http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

(I don't run Red Hat but maybe someone that does run it can provide
RH-specific help...)

--

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:    http://users3.ev1.net/~ckite/public_html/

1. Internet connection works in Windows, not in Linux (DHCP)

Hi --

    I'm running Debian 2.2r2 (Potato) with the dhcp-client package
installed. My problem is that I can optain an IP from Windows, but under
Linux the dhcp-client fails with the error "no DHCPOFFERS". What do I need
to specify in my dhclient.conf file?

Also, is the MAC address of my NIC card (which is configured as a module in
Debian) different under Linux as it is in Windows? Or is it just reported
differently? WINIPCFG under Windows gives me "00:00:e8:7a:78:e0", but
IFCONFIG under Linux returns an address of "00:a0:cc:42:1b:bf".

thanks in advance,
Ed C.

2. Printer configuration

3. VPN works through wired ports, but with wireless VPN connection not working

4. How to upgrade X-Windows?

5. PPP connection works well ,while SLIP connection doesn't work,why and how?

6. Apache::asp and script execution by users

7. samba only works with an internet connection

8. Program for Quicktime?

9. Telnet stops working when Internet connection goes down

10. Samba semi-working; Need help with Internet Connection

11. My extrenal Internet connection down(cable disconnected), will my intranet should work right?.

12. help work Internet connection emulation

13. iptables, internet connection sharing, Windows: FTP DOESN'T WORK!