remotehost

Post by Norbert Enzinge » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:37:57

when I log in from my pc on a workstation somewhere a shell is opened. To
redirect the display I have to set the variable display=$remotehost:0.

My  problem is when using ssh2 the variable remotehost is empty. Where can I
get the proper value (the ip address of my pc)?

thanks norbert

remotehost

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:35:07

> when I log in from my pc on a workstation somewhere a shell is opened. To
> redirect the display I have to set the variable display=$remotehost:0.

> My  problem is when using ssh2 the variable remotehost is empty. Where can I
> get the proper value (the ip address of my pc)?

Actually you probably need to set DISPLAY rather than display.  You could
parse SSH_CLIENT if that appears in your env, but that would not be secure
for DISPLAY.

Have you tried using ssh-agent with ssh-add?  Then your DISPLAY on the
remote box will automatically be set to a pseudo display that tunnels any
remote X programs back through ssh to your box.

However, I am not sure how to use ssh-agent with a GUI login (runlevel 5).
I boot to runlevel 3 (console) and have this alias in my ~/.bashrc (or
~/.alias in SuSE):

alias startx="ssh-agent startx"

Not sure if this works any differently in ssh2.  I am using ssh1 or
OpenSSH with my ssh1 keys.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

1. setting REMOTEHOST

Can someone remind me where REMOTEHOST gets set for a telnet session?  I
poked around in /etc/defaults and couldn't find it there, and it's not
getting set in a telnet session.  Any reminders? (or even which man page
to check..)

Thanks

2. Wilcard -> filename expansion routines

3. REMOTEHOST~(How to get this?)

4. Help: Remote Modem reset for dialin

5. REMOTEHOST

6. Can ping internet but not browse

7. X :1 -query remotehost

8. -lgcc How to get rid of it?

9. Emulating REMOTEHOST variable in csh, bash, ksh

10. telnet Remotehost

11. how to get remotehost name

12. tcsh and REMOTEHOST

13. Can I get REMOTEHOST set ?????