Dynamic (DHCP) IP and DNS

Post by Paul A. Cheshi » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:09:31

I am trying to find a way to update DNS on my server when a 'new' host connects
and is assigned an IP address via DHCPD.

Unfortunately, all my searching yields only references to DynDNS 'services'
hosted by third parties to emulate static ip address allocation.

I am certain there is something out there so if some kind soul could point in
the right direction...?

:-{

MTIA

Paul A. Cheshire      |
Linux User # 73079    |
No fences?            |
No Gates required.    |

Dynamic (DHCP) IP and DNS

Post by Stephan Bea » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 19:05:02

> I am trying to find a way to update DNS on my server when a 'new' host
> connects and is assigned an IP address via DHCPD.

> Unfortunately, all my searching yields only references to DynDNS
> 'services' hosted by third parties to emulate static ip address
> allocation.

> I am certain there is something out there so if some kind soul could point
> in the right direction...?

I can't give you a solution, but I can tell you that maybe looking into the
WINS resolution in Samba may help. We have a dhcp server, and a Samba
server set up as the master domain browser, which updates itself as
machines register with DHCP (actually, it happens when they run samba, but
all of our *nix machines do, and the WinXX machines don't need any special
software for this).

----- stephan
I speak for myself, not my employer.
Slippery when wet. No warranty. Contents may be hot.
You have been warned.

Dynamic (DHCP) IP and DNS

Post by Pierre Trani » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 22:19:43

HI,

> > I am trying to find a way to update DNS on my server when a 'new' host
> > connects and is assigned an IP address via DHCPD.

> > Unfortunately, all my searching yields only references to DynDNS
> > 'services' hosted by third parties to emulate static ip address
> > allocation.

> > I am certain there is something out there so if some kind soul could
point
> > in the right direction...?

> I can't give you a solution, but I can tell you that maybe looking into
the
> WINS resolution in Samba may help. We have a dhcp server, and a Samba
> server set up as the master domain browser, which updates itself as
> machines register with DHCP (actually, it happens when they run samba, but
> all of our *nix machines do, and the WinXX machines don't need any special
> software for this).

> ----- stephan
> I speak for myself, not my employer.
> Slippery when wet. No warranty. Contents may be hot.
> You have been warned.

Don't fully agree, Sammba server has to run a script to update DNS, unless,
system names are not updated. Theres a sample script (dns_update) in :

/usr/share/doc/samba-xxxx/examples/wins_hook

although this only works when your using Samba. If you got *ix stations
connected to the network, things are different.

Best regards

Pierre

1. DHCP, dynamic IP and DNS?

Is there a way to have my win98 machine, which is configured for DHCP
and receives a dynamic IP address, ping-able from a linux box? In other
words, I have a machine with identity "mycomputer" which receives IP
555.55.555.55. I want to do a "ping mycomputer" from the linux command
line and have linux resolve to its IP regardless of what it happens to
be this day. Is this possible in any way? Further, i need that machines
info in its users .rhosts file for rsh, is this also possible such as an
entry:
MYCOMPUTER    username

Thanks for getting this far,
Sam

2. Force Group - Samba 2.0.6

3. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update

4. SunOS 4.1.x to SOlaris 2.2

5. DHCP, DNS/Dynamic DNS???

6. Goldstar monitor settings for XF86?

7. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

8. An old Apache bug in Apache1.3.6?

9. DHCP, DNS, WINS, dynamic DNS, other questions

10. ddclient to update dynamic DNS entries at a dynamic DNS service

11. DNS woes, Static IP, and Dynamic IP from ISP

12. DHCP and Dynamic DNS for SCO?