Mounting and smbfs

Post by Robin F. Wrigh » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I recently upgraded my kernel from 2.1.42 to 2.1.60 and am having
troubles mounting files from a samba server.  I previously used
smbmount, which doesn't seem to work in the new kernel.  I which version
of the samba utilities do I need, or can I now use "mount -t smbfs" to
mount the files?

Thanks,
Robin

1. Apache not serving from CIFS-mounted share, works if it's mounted as SMBFS

I'd like to mount a windows 2000 server fileshare on an linux/apache
server to do some basic web serving. The web server works fine and
shows other content that's stored locally just fine.

This works:
 mount -t smbfs -o username=smbusername,uid=apache,ro //server/share
mountpoint/
but it complains that smbfs is deprecated and I should be using cifs.
For now, I'm using it anyway.

This seems to work:
 mount.cifs //server/share mountpoint/ -
ouser=smbusername,uid=apache,ro
but it won't serve actual files. It allows browsing of the directories
and shows the filenames. It does not return an error, it just does not
send the file. I have confirmed that user 'apache' can read the file
by logging in as that user and viewing the file.

I tried a telnet test, using GET and Host commands captured from
firefox's LiveHTTPHeaders extension, like this:
-=-
 telnet webserver 80
 GET /directory/filename.jpg HTTP/1.1
 Host: webserver
-=-

The result looks like this:
-=-
 HTTP/1.x 200 OK
 Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:51:07 GMT
 Server: Apache/2.2.4 (Unix) PHP/5.2.0
 Last-Modified: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:07:30 GMT
 Etag: "420f8a5-180bf4-4d7a7480"
 Accept-Ranges: bytes

 Connection to host lost.
-=-

2. Couple New Linux user questions.

3. Possible to mount Samba filesys (smbfs) via ordinary 'mount' command?

4. translate NFS filehandle -> pathname without ncheck inode?

5. "mount -f smbfs //etc" - where to put so it mounts automagically?

6. FTP from Windows machines to Linux

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. virtual domain setup

9. 2.4.18 mount.smbfs oops

10. smbfs mounting Nt 4.0 Drives or Win95 Drives!

11. Permissions on smbfs mount?

12. using dump on smbfs mounted fs?

13. mounting smbfs in 2.1.6x