New to Linux... trying to get an old, old 10Mbps Linksys card to work

New to Linux... trying to get an old, old 10Mbps Linksys card to work

Post by spam_me_and_i'll_kill_y » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Could anyone help me with this one.
I'm new to Linux.  I am using Red Hat 6.1 and I'm trying to install an
old 10Mbps ISA non-PnP 16 bit card (Ether Lan 16).

Linux recognized my driver as 82596 and I see the alias in my
/etc/conf.modules file.

I've already used DOS and made sure the the appropriate IRQ and IO
ports are set.  (IO=0x340 and IRQ=11)

ifconfig eth0 displays my ip address and shows that it's up.
However, when I try to ping my ISP's gateway or even another host on
my network, I get "network unreachable" messages and eventually status
message like this:

eth0: initialization timed out with status 0000, cmd 0000
eth0  receive unit start timed out with status 0000, cmd 0000, 82596
init timed out with status 0000, cmd 0010

I don't understand these status timed out messages.

I also tried going into /etc/conf.modules and adding
options 82596 io=0x340 irq=11

But, when I do any options, modprobe returns with
/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/net/82596.0:  invalid parameter io

But, I know I already burned this io and irq setting into the NIC's
eeprom from DOS.  Also, this card is not plug and play

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

ww

New to Linux... trying to get an old, old 10Mbps Linksys card to work

Post by Glenn Valent » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I had allot of problems with these cards. Now that NICs are so cheap,($12US) I
got tired of messing with them and replaced them with non linksys cards.
(Linksys keeps changing chipsets every few months)

However, there are several thing to look at.

I could never get these to run with a modular kernel. Try compiling with the
tulip driver not as a  module.

put append = "ether=11,0x340,eth0" in your /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo

after a reboot, as root, type "dmesg | less" and look for an entry like...

>eth0: Lite-On PNIC-II rev 37 at 0xe800, 00:A0:CC:E6:10:02, IRQ 5.

fi that is there, the kernel found your eithernet card. Nothing will work
unless this happens.

type "ifconfig" and see what id there. there should be eth0 and lo. If these
are there, the your problem is configuration. you can use linuxconfig to fix
these.

--

1. X Windows and my old old old old video card

Hi. The card in question is an ISA ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (with the mach32
engine). The particular monitor that I'm using is an AST Vision 4L, and I
managed to root through the AST website (talk about counterintuitive!) so
I could get the horiz and vert scan lines etc. I can't seem to get X setup
right, when I run probe, it complains about a missing clocks line. Is
there any doc which can EXPLAIN xf86config? A man page helps, but getting
the theory fundas would be even nicer.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of support the linux community
provides. Also, being something of a DOS/Windows junkie ;=( in the past,
i'd appreciate it if I could be told where to get my hands on info that'll
help me migrate better.

regards
Aniruddha Shankar
BAngalore, India

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. KDE 3 install

3. Need Advise on Getting Old Adaptec Card for Old 450mb SCSI

4. Moved my HDs; Lilo error 0x1641 writing new config?

5. Help with old freeswan and old linux on old hardware.

6. Need prog to let RCS read SCCS file

7. New Oracle New Solaris v's Old Oracle Old Windows

8. Apache Transferlog Limit GET

9. ufstype=old = how old? SunOS fstype=4.2 old?

10. Missing a serial number for SCO OS 4.2 (old-old-old...)

11. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

12. ^old^new -- any way to specify space in "old"?

13. Has anyone gotten a new Linksys 100 base T card to work properly?