Wired Route Table Problems

Post by Roy Murp » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

From time to time, when I dial my ISP, I am unable to reach any hosts.
ifconfig shows the ppp0 interface up, but route (and netstat -r) hangs
after printing the titles of the chart.  Paradoxically, cat
/proc/net/route gives a normal looking result.  The system is Red Hat
4.2. The only solution I have found is to repeatedly redial until route
is OK.  Any insights are gratefully appreciated.

Wired Route Table Problems

Post by Vincent Zweij » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

||  From time to time, when I dial my ISP, I am unable to reach any hosts.
||  ifconfig shows the ppp0 interface up, but route (and netstat -r) hangs
||  after printing the titles of the chart.  Paradoxically, cat
||  /proc/net/route gives a normal looking result.  The system is Red Hat
||  4.2. The only solution I have found is to repeatedly redial until route
||  is OK.  Any insights are gratefully appreciated.

Look for a problem with your DNS.  The hang is probably because route
is waiting for reverse DNS lookups to time out.  Make sure your name
server(s) are configured correctly.  Maybe it depends on the dynamic
addess you get.

Ciao.                                                        Vincent.
--

<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/>      | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"
[Xhost should be taken out and shot] |            -- Paul Tomblin on a.s.r.

Wired Route Table Problems

Post by James Youngm » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> From time to time, when I dial my ISP, I am unable to reach any
> hosts.  ifconfig shows the ppp0 interface up, but route (and netstat
> -r) hangs after printing the titles of the chart.  Paradoxically,
> cat /proc/net/route gives a normal looking result.  The system is
> Red Hat 4.2. The only solution I have found is to repeatedly redial
> until route is OK.  Any insights are gratefully appreciated.

This is because name resolution isn't working ("/sbin/route -n" will
not hang either).  Fix /etc/resolv.conf.

--

Wired Route Table Problems

Post by Roy Murp » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Look for a problem with your DNS.  The hang is probably because route
>is waiting for reverse DNS lookups to time out.  Make sure your name
>server(s) are configured correctly.  Maybe it depends on the dynamic

Thanks for the reply ( and thanks to those who replied privately).
I'm beggining to suspect that the ISP's nameserver is either
going down or becoming unreachable from the POP on an intermittent
basis.  The suggestion that I got in private mail was to traceroute
the nameserver the next time it happens.  I should be able to tell if
it's the name server or the route to it.

1. How Do Routing Table Entries Get Added to Routing Table at Bootup?

I have, what I think, is a simple question for the TCP/IP guys out there
who are familar with routing tables on AIX 4.1.5/4.2.1 in an IBM SP
environment. Or maybe not.

I have recently noticed that when I execute a 'netstat -r' on a
particular node in the SP environment, there are routing table entries
that I know I didn't put in there. I have to delete these "unwelcomed"
entries and re-add the correct ones. This is undesireable and maybe a
quick crash course in routing tables is justified. These unwelcomed
routing table entries seem to be automatically added right after I have
IPL'ed the node in question.

How did these routing table entries get added in the routing table? Does
anybody know the process?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+ driver + firewall

3. How to set up routing table or gateway tables for ppp?

4. best system for the job?

5. building routing tables or listening to OSPF route information?

6. Quick query...

7. Routing question, how to duplicate route table in new distro?

8. BIND 4.8.3 port to AIX 3.2 running SLOWLY.

9. Dropping route from route table

10. Removing a network route from the route table

11. pppd not setting up default route in routing table

12. How to delete route entry from routing table

13. RH 5.2: Routing table losing default route/gateway