pppoed and FTP Timeouts

Post by merc » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I currently have DSL through Bell Atlantic and I am using
BellAtlantic.net as my ISP.  I setup pppoed (version 0.46 by Jamal)
and have everything working fine, except for a problem with FTP
timeouts.  I am able to connect to an FTP server, download ~7 megs and
then it just bombs out... no traffic at all.  I have tested downloads
from HTTP as well as news groups and they seem to work great.  I have
a feeling it has something to do with the MTU or the MRU, they are
currently both set to 1490.  I also have 'mssclampfw' installed.. here
is the README from that..

---------------------
This kernel module, designed to operate on a forwarding or
masquerading Linux 2.2 or 2.[3-4] gateway that has attached tunnels or
encapsulation interfaces with reduced packet sizes (like PPPoE)
connected to networks with ICMP blackholes (such as Bell Canada's
Sympatico HSE), prevents Path MTU Discovery failures (causing a TCP
connection to hang as soon as the remote host tries to send full
packets) by patching the MSS option in TCP SYN packets down to the
safest value according to the outgoing device's MTU.
--------------------

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated..

Thanks

pppoed and FTP Timeouts

Post by Dave Ros » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I can't confirm with the same testing that you have, but I do see the same
or similar problems. I can set up my pppoed kernel with mssclampfw and after
about 1/2 hour or so I cannot ping out. I end up having to tear down the
pppoed and start it back up.

I started using the user space pppoe by Roaring Penguin. And while it may be
argued not as fast as the kernel space version, at least I can expect it to
be there when I need it :) I'm using rp-pppoe 1.6

Hope this helps.

Quote:> I currently have DSL through Bell Atlantic and I am using