Gateway+Firewall+Proxy Problem

Post by Jimbo » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:58:18

I have set up a small home network currently only consisting
of one machine that acts as an internet gateway and also a
firewall and proxy server (squid) and one machine for
normal users.

I am using an ADSL connection and have the network operating
correctly so far as webpages can be viewed, ftp can be done,
icq is allowed etc. My problem is that should I try to play
Quake for example online I am unable to. The firewall isnt
the problem as I have allowed all ports from 1024 to 65539
to be used by the internal users (i intend to close some of
these) and i have also tried to play with the firewall down.
I think it has something to do with squid and am not sure
whether it is allowing these ports needed.

Am i missing something obvious?

Thanks

Brett

Gateway+Firewall+Proxy Problem

Post by Matthew Darc » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:52:45

you need ip masqurading as you internal LAN addresses are being sent the
games host, then when data is sent back to the internal LANS'ip it is
unrouteable/unreacable.

Make sure you not using NAT also as a lot of games HATE NAT.

Quote:> I have set up a small home network currently only consisting
> of one machine that acts as an internet gateway and also a
> firewall and proxy server (squid) and one machine for
> normal users.

> I am using an ADSL connection and have the network operating
> correctly so far as webpages can be viewed, ftp can be done,
> icq is allowed etc. My problem is that should I try to play
> Quake for example online I am unable to. The firewall isnt
> the problem as I have allowed all ports from 1024 to 65539
> to be used by the internal users (i intend to close some of
> these) and i have also tried to play with the firewall down.
> I think it has something to do with squid and am not sure
> whether it is allowing these ports needed.

> Am i missing something obvious?

> Thanks

> Brett

Gateway+Firewall+Proxy Problem

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:41:05

Hi!,

[...]

Quote:> I am using an ADSL connection and have the network operating
> correctly so far as webpages can be viewed, ftp can be done,
> icq is allowed etc. My problem is that should I try to play
> Quake for example online I am unable to. The firewall isnt
> the problem as I have allowed all ports from 1024 to 65539
> to be used by the internal users (i intend to close some of
> these) and i have also tried to play with the firewall down.
> I think it has something to do with squid and am not sure
> whether it is allowing these ports needed.
> Am i missing something obvious?

Check to make sure that you have loaded the appropriate quake masquerading
module into the system as well.  You should be able to find out more at the
web site: http://ipmasq.cjb.net

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. ftp client proxy ms proxy firewall http proxy unix

for a unix ftp client that works through MS proxies, even with NTLM
authentication, go to this link...
  http://unix.about.com/cs/appsftp/
on the link above, 'curl' and 'lftp' seem to be teh best two i've ever
used, but be warned that curl will require openssl libraries as well
as zlib libraries.

you might also get errors with ld.so.1 or something such as this...
    ld.so.1: fatal
    No such file or directory
    ImportError: ld.so.1
if you get this kiind of error, then search groups.google.com for my
explanation on this kind of Nasty error which has fooled/beaten many a
rookie.

for NTLM authentication (MS Proxy Firewall or MS ISA Firewall), get on
www.sourceforge.net and look for 'NTLM Proxy Authentication' and then
find a program called (i think the program is called 'aps' it's
written by Dmitry Rozmanov) download it and configure it for your MS
Proxy/ISA Firewall. it might require the python intepreter, download
the python intepreter if you DON'T already have it. be patient,
everything will eventually work for you once you've read all the
manuals.
Moses Motlhale - Solutions Architect
24th Century Solutions, South Africa.

2. NIS secure mode breaks xlock

3. what is minimum components to install for console based gateway/proxy/firewall?

4. where is the XML programmer(on the unix environment)'s sites?

5. AVP for gateway/firewall/smtp proxy

6. create /proc/ide/hdX/capacity only once

7. gateway or firewall or proxy ??

8. Problem with su

9. proxy vs firewall/gateway

10. Redhat5.0's proxy server and firewall proxy

11. An application gateway firewall based on Linux - ITShield firewall

12. Reverse Proxy / Web Gateway - how to solve a very common problem?