Anyone doing EQL or any other Multi-Line PPP?

Anyone doing EQL or any other Multi-Line PPP?

Post by al-ma » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

hiya,

Anyone successfully multiplexing more than one ppp connection for
greater internet connectivity bandwidth?

I'm trying to setup EQL multi-line serial load balancer. i've got two
ppp connections, and i make them slaves, then bring up the eql device.
it seems to work but outgoing packets go out one modem, and incoming
packets come in ONLY on the other modem... this doesn't really seem to
improve my throughput... i'd like both modems to accept input....

anyone have any succes with that?

please let me know!
thanks in advance!

Alan Jurgensen

Post by Christopher Cradoc » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> hiya,

> Anyone successfully multiplexing more than one ppp connection for
> greater internet connectivity bandwidth?

 You do have a remote end that can use a mulit-line serial connect? most
dial-in
boxes (including Linux) don't do it natively giving you your observed
behaviour.

For Linux you have to have EQL loaded and correctly connected at both
ends.

--
Chris Cradock

Anyone doing EQL or any other Multi-Line PPP?

Post by Frankie K.T. C » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

[Newsgroup header trimmed...]

says...

Quote:> Anyone successfully multiplexing more than one ppp connection for
> greater internet connectivity bandwidth?

> I'm trying to setup EQL multi-line serial load balancer. i've got two
> ppp connections, and i make them slaves, then bring up the eql device.
> it seems to work but outgoing packets go out one modem, and incoming
> packets come in ONLY on the other modem... this doesn't really seem to
> improve my throughput... i'd like both modems to accept input....

> anyone have any succes with that?

Yap, played with it about a year ago. As my ISP didn't (still doesn't)
support load-balancing on their equipment, I was using SLiRP on the
server side, which would also give identical IP addresses on the various
slip interfaces.

Once you enslave the slip interfaces to the eql interface, you should add
eql to your routing table as the default route, and it would work.

The SLiRP doc has a very good session on setting up load-balancing.

I gave up 'cos I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. We don't have
true flat-rate ISPs here, and SLiRP being a slip/ppp emulator breaks a
lot of software, e.g. ping, traceroute.

Cheers,
Frank.
--

Support Freedom of Press - Keep RTHK Free
a?? - ????-???

Post by bill davids » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

| Anyone successfully multiplexing more than one ppp connection for
| greater internet connectivity bandwidth?

Yes, although I bent the config suggestions a good bit to simplify
them.

| I'm trying to setup EQL multi-line serial load balancer. i've got two
| ppp connections, and i make them slaves, then bring up the eql device.
| it seems to work but outgoing packets go out one modem, and incoming
| packets come in ONLY on the other modem... this doesn't really seem to
| improve my throughput... i'd like both modems to accept input....
|
| anyone have any succes with that?

I started with an ISP who will let me tie up two modems off peak,
who has Livingston Portmasters which have eql enabled (default), and
who gives me a fixed IP connection. Given that, I just fired up two
copies of pppd using two modems, enslaved the ppp[01] devices, and
made the eql device my default route. I did *not* do all the
fiddling with routing and such for the ppp'd lines, didn't need to,
didn't want to, I'm a lazy man who takes the easiest path which
works.

And work it does! I can get amazing downloads and uploads, at least
compared to what I was seeing. Of course my ISP went to 56k recently
and I haven't found a source of the modems I want (Zoom external
dual standard V.90+Kflex), so I'm somewhat waiting on all of this.
At some point I will get the urge to connect two of these with eql
as proof of concept, but for now I almost never bother.

I also played a bit with two systems with null modems running at
230k, and that's rather spiffy. However, they were running the
2.1.6? kernel and were unwilling to stay up long enough to really
shake them out. Looked very good, though.
--

 "If I were a diplomat, in the best case I'd go hungry.  In the worst
  case, people would die."

1. IP-IP tunneling and multi-line PPP?

Two questions:
First, does FreeBSD support IP "tunneling" (IP over IP)?  Second, is there any
support for multi-line PPP load balancing (running one PPP session over several
analog modems, NOT ISDN related)?  Both of these seem to be available in
Linux-land, just wondering if any work had been done on it here...

- Mike

2. @Home and Linux

3. converting multi-line records to single line record

4. HELP: I'm looking to hire a BGP routing consultant.

5. EQL or Multi-Link PPP server

6. "ECRIX" TAPE DRIVE: Any comments? (Am about to get one)

7. extract a line from multi-line variable

8. Is it possible to install SCO UNIX 5 from IDE - cdrom ?

9. How to change one part on a multi-column, multi-line

10. DOS hard return, line feed and others

11. ? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support

12. Multi-line Banners using ftpd and rlogind

13. Multi-line shell commands ?