Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

Post by Bill Tod » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 05:48:22

After installing Red Hat 7.2 I configured Samba. I can mount and browse
shares on a Win2k Pro system on the network. However, the Win2k system
cannot see the Red Hat system.

I can ping the Red Hat system from the Win2k system both by name and IP
address. However, if I search for the Red Hat system from Windows Explorer,
either by name or IP address, it is not found.

I am a Linux novice and have run out of things to check. Any suggestions?

Bill

Post by Karl Heye » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 06:40:41

> After installing Red Hat 7.2 I configured Samba. I can mount and
> browse shares on a Win2k Pro system on the network. However, the
> Win2k system cannot see the Red Hat system.

> I can ping the Red Hat system from the Win2k system both by name and
> IP address. However, if I search for the Red Hat system from Windows
> Explorer, either by name or IP address, it is not found.

> I am a Linux novice and have run out of things to check. Any
> suggestions?

the smb.conf is probably best posted.  Is the name that your ping'd
in listed in DNS or /etc/hosts.  Sounds like the browser master is
not updating, does it appear after a while (like 15 mins).

karl.

Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

Post by Bill Tod » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:40:35

Thanks for your help. The smb.conf is at the end of this message. There is
no DNS on this network.
both computers use static IP addresses (10.0.0.10 for the Win2k machine and
10.0.0.15 for the Linux box). The hosts file on the Win2k machine contains
an entry for the Linux box. The /etc/hosts file on the Red Hat machine
contains an entry for the Win2k machine. Time does not make a difference. I
have had both machines up for over an hour and still cannot see the Red Hat
machine from the Win2k machine.

The thing that has me stumped is why I can ping the Red Hat machine by both
name and IP from the Win2k machine but when I search for the IP address in
Explorer it is not found.

--
Bill
# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = WORKGROUP

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
   printing = lprng

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
;  guest account = pcguest

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 10

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user

# Use password server option only with security = server
# The argument list may include:
#   password server = My_PDC_Name [My_BDC_Name] [My_Next_BDC_Name]
# or to auto-locate the domain controller/s
#   password server = *
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# The following is needed to keep smbclient from spouting spurious errors
# when Samba is built with support for SSL.
;   ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux sytsem password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
;  unix password sync = Yes
;  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
;  passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
;  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting
;   include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m

# This parameter will control whether or not Samba should obey PAM's
# account and session management directives. The default behavior is
# to use PAM for clear text authentication only and to ignore any
# account or session management. Note that Samba always ignores PAM
# for authentication in the case of encrypt passwords = yes

;  obey pam restrictions = yes

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
#  request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
# a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
;   local master = no

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
;   os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
;   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
;   preferred master = yes

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
;   domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
Server
;   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

# Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
# NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
;  preserve case = no
;  short preserve case = no
# Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
;  default case = lower
# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
;  case sensitive = no

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775
# If you want users samba doesn't recognize to be mapped to a guest user
; map to guest = bad user

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
;[tmp]
;   comment = Temporary file space
;   path = /tmp
;   read only = no
;   public = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
;[public]
;   comment = Public Stuff
;   path = /home/samba
;   public = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;   write list = @staff

# Other examples.
#
# A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in
fred's
# home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool
directory,
# wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
;   comment = Fred's Printer
;   valid users = fred
;   path = /home/fred
;   printer = freds_printer
;   public = no
;   writable = no
;   printable = yes

# A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires write
# access to the directory.
;[fredsdir]
;   comment = Fred's Service
;   path = /usr/somewhere/private
;   valid users = fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
; ...

read more »

Post by Karl Heye » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:15:32

> Thanks for your help. The smb.conf is at the end of this message. There is
> no DNS on this network.
> both computers use static IP addresses (10.0.0.10 for the Win2k machine and
> 10.0.0.15 for the Linux box). The hosts file on the Win2k machine contains
> an entry for the Linux box. The /etc/hosts file on the Red Hat machine
> contains an entry for the Win2k machine. Time does not make a difference. I
> have had both machines up for over an hour and still cannot see the Red Hat
> machine from the Win2k machine.

> The thing that has me stumped is why I can ping the Red Hat machine by both
> name and IP from the Win2k machine but when I search for the IP address in
> Explorer it is not found.

ok, the netbios name will be whatever hostname is, it's listening on
all interfaces.

ps -ef | grep mbd

you should see at least 2 lines.  smbd, nmbd

iptables -L -n

This will tells us the state of your firewall.  It can be shutdown by
doing /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop

karl.

Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

Post by Allan Wes » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:26:25

Quote:> After installing Red Hat 7.2 I configured Samba. I can mount and browse
> shares on a Win2k Pro system on the network. However, the Win2k system
> cannot see the Red Hat system.

> I can ping the Red Hat system from the Win2k system both by name and IP
> address. However, if I search for the Red Hat system from Windows
Explorer,
> either by name or IP address, it is not found.

> I am a Linux novice and have run out of things to check. Any suggestions?

> Thanks,

Do you have the firewalling enabled on the linux box?  You'll have to allow
the access to ports 137,138,139 IIRC.

Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:45:48

Hi!,

Quote:> After installing Red Hat 7.2 I configured Samba. I can mount and browse
> shares on a Win2k Pro system on the network. However, the Win2k system
> cannot see the Red Hat system.

> I can ping the Red Hat system from the Win2k system both by name and IP
> address. However, if I search for the Red Hat system from Windows Explorer,
> either by name or IP address, it is not found.

> I am a Linux novice and have run out of things to check. Any suggestions?

If this was a standard RH 7.2 install, there is a good chance that the system
has placed a firewall around the ports that SAMBA uses for remote machines to
talk to it.  Just as a test, issue the following commands and see whether your
SAMBA connection works:

/sbin/ipchains -p tcp -I input 1 -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d <your ip> 137:139 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -p udp -I input 2 -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d <your ip> 137:139 -j ACCEPT

See ya

Dean Thompson

Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

Post by Bill Tod » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 04:31:44

ps -ef | grep mbd
root      1759     1  0 12:26 ?        00:00:00 smbd -D
root      1764     1  0 12:26 ?        00:00:00 nmbd -D
root      1922  1693  0 12:41 pts/0    00:00:00 grep mbd

iptables -L -n produces no output at all. I ran iptables stop and still
cannot see the Red Hat system from the Win2k system.

--
Bill

Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

Post by Bill Tod » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 04:37:02

If you were here I would buy you a beer. Works perfectly now.

Bill

Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

Post by Bill Tod » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 04:38:34

Dean's solution worked. Thanks for all your help.

--
Bill

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. DejaGNU Tutorial, Vinge Speaking, Fees Reduced at Free Software

3. DHCP problems (Win2K server, Red Hat 7.2 clients)

4. Unable to Access Modem

5. Cannot get CD-ROM to be seen by Red Hat 5.2 at install

6. Netscape Plugin for RealAudio G2 Player

7. Configuracion Red Hat 7.2 en red

8. Sun Sparc Servers and STK disk arrays.

9. Cannot connect to the internet through modem in Red hat 7.2?

10. cannot play games in linux red hat 7.2

11. Newbie Requesting dual boot setup with win2k and red hat 7.1 using NTloader if possible

12. 7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

13. Win2k, WinMe, Linux Red Hat 6.2