FreeS/WAN install problems...

Post by Whiskey Mi » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:56:36

Hello all,

I've been having a hell of a time trying to get FreeS/WAN installed. I
originally started out with a RedHat 7.0 install, then switched to RH7.1.
I recompiled each of those kernels as the FreeS/WAN documentation
suggested, and upon using 'make oldgo' each kernel was patched and
compiling went underway... then aborted. I don't have the 4 error messages
it gave me at the moment.

Since the machine was basically a * box anyway, I reformatted and put
RH6.2 on there. Now when I try to 'make oldgo' it fails almost immediately
because it can't patch. That error message is:

echo "===============" >>out.kpatch
echo "`date` `cd /usr/src/linux ; pwd`" >>out.kpatch
make _patches2.2 BINDDIR=/usr/local/lib/ipsec PUBDIR=/usr/local/sbin
 PRIVDIR=/usr/local/lib/ipsec REALPRIVDIR=/usr/local/lib/ipsec
 MANTREE=/usr/local/man DESTDIR= INSTALL="install" >>out.kpatch
utils/patcher: patch on /usr/src/linux/net/Config.in failed!
utils/patcher: restoring original /usr/src/linux/net/Config.in,
utils/patcher: leaving patch attempt in /usr/src/linuc/net/Config.in.mangled
make[1]: *** [_patches2.2] Error 1
make: *** [patches] Error 2

and the Config.in.rej file reads:
***************
*** 88,91 ****
  #bool 'Network code profiler' CONFIG_NET_PROFILE
  endmenu

  endmenu
--- 88,96 ----
  #bool 'Network code profiler' CONFIG_NET_PROFILE
  endmenu

+ tristate 'IP Security Protocol (FreeS/WAN IPSEC)' CONFIG_IPSEC
+ if [ "$CONFIG_IPSEC" != "n" ]; then
+  source net/ipsec/Config.in
+ fi
+
  endmenu

And that's it.

So basically, FreeS/WAN was able to patch RH7.0 and 7.1 kernels, but could
not compile. A 'make mrproper' was issued before 'make oldgo' for each RH
attempt. FreeS/WAN is unable to even patch RH6.2, which, IIRC, the
developers use to test their software.

I've read all of their documentation, and nothing is working. Any
suggestions?

Since I've almost had it with trying to install FreeS/WAN, are there any
other decent VPN solutions with IPSec and IKE?

Thanks in advance...

-wm

FreeS/WAN install problems...

Post by Joerg Morbitze » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:51:49

> Hello all,

> I've been having a hell of a time trying to get FreeS/WAN installed. I
> originally started out with a RedHat 7.0 install, then switched to RH7.1.
> I recompiled each of those kernels as the FreeS/WAN documentation
> suggested, and upon using 'make oldgo' each kernel was patched and
> compiling went underway... then aborted. I don't have the 4 error messages
> it gave me at the moment.

> Since the machine was basically a * box anyway, I reformatted and put
> RH6.2 on there. Now when I try to 'make oldgo' it fails almost immediately
> because it can't patch. That error message is:

> echo "===============" >>out.kpatch
> echo "`date` `cd /usr/src/linux ; pwd`" >>out.kpatch
> make _patches2.2 BINDDIR=/usr/local/lib/ipsec PUBDIR=/usr/local/sbin
>  PRIVDIR=/usr/local/lib/ipsec REALPRIVDIR=/usr/local/lib/ipsec
>  MANTREE=/usr/local/man DESTDIR= INSTALL="install" >>out.kpatch
> utils/patcher: patch on /usr/src/linux/net/Config.in failed!
> utils/patcher: restoring original /usr/src/linux/net/Config.in,
> utils/patcher: leaving patch attempt in /usr/src/linuc/net/Config.in.mangled
> make[1]: *** [_patches2.2] Error 1
> make: *** [patches] Error 2

> and the Config.in.rej file reads:
> ***************
> *** 88,91 ****
>   #bool 'Network code profiler' CONFIG_NET_PROFILE
>   endmenu

>   endmenu
> --- 88,96 ----
>   #bool 'Network code profiler' CONFIG_NET_PROFILE
>   endmenu

> + tristate 'IP Security Protocol (FreeS/WAN IPSEC)' CONFIG_IPSEC
> + if [ "$CONFIG_IPSEC" != "n" ]; then
> +  source net/ipsec/Config.in
> + fi
> +
>   endmenu

> And that's it.

> So basically, FreeS/WAN was able to patch RH7.0 and 7.1 kernels, but could
> not compile. A 'make mrproper' was issued before 'make oldgo' for each RH
> attempt. FreeS/WAN is unable to even patch RH6.2, which, IIRC, the
> developers use to test their software.

> I've read all of their documentation, and nothing is working. Any
> suggestions?

> Since I've almost had it with trying to install FreeS/WAN, are there any
> other decent VPN solutions with IPSec and IKE?

> Thanks in advance...

> -wm

Sometimes RH and SuSE ship their own patched kernel sources with their
distriubtions,
then compiling of FreeS/WAN + kernel does not work any more.
Get the newest (untouched) kernel from www.kernel.org (2.2.19 for
example), compile and install
it without FreeS/WAN first, then get the latest FreeS/WAN (1.91) and
compile
it again. This will work without any problems ...

Regards, Joerg.

1. Windows FREE client interoperated with FreeS/WAN?

Hello there
I'm novice VPN..especially IPSec client
I'm finding  Windows FREE client interoperated with FreeS/WAN
In www.freeswan.org   describe some interoperated Windows clients..
But I cannot download and cannot test in my region(South Korea)
Somebody help me
if you know about associated OPEN PROJECT or FREE client , please inform me
Thanks.

2. 2.2.3 over RH 5.2: DHCPCD problem with Cable Modem

3. installing frees/wan

4. Best commercial X-server Redhat 6.0

5. freeS/WAN install

6. HELP: Connecting to ISP with PPP

7. FreeS/Wan and ipchains problem

8. What do I need to play VCD on my Linux box?

9. Problem with menuconfig after installation of IPSec ( FreeS/WAN )

10. FreeS/WAN's and linking two networks problems

11. frees/wan problem...

12. FreeS/WAN setup problems

13. Major problem getting FreeS/WAN to work