odd smbmount problem

Post by Pete Woo » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to mount a WIN95 shared directory on a redhat linux box, and
am using smbmount //gandalf/cd_rom mnt/cdrom -n

The mount works fine however when I issue a ls command not all of the
files in the directory are listed!!

For example ls on the rpms directory gives me everything alphabetically
A... to E... so I cant see the sampa.rpms to re install it - arghh!!

Sometimes all of the files are listed but repeating the ls command a
couple of times reduces the amount displayed ??

for example ls on the rpms directory gives me everything alphabetically
A... to E... so I cant see the sampa.rpms to re install it - arghh!!

smbmount v 2.0.1

When i attempt to smbumount /mnt/cdrom i get the message
/mnt/cdrom probably not smb-filesystem
However umount /mnt/cdrom does work

This same problem also occurs on shares on the WIN95 machine, not just
the CD rom

Has anyone any ideas?

Pete

odd smbmount problem

Post by Clif » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello Pete,

(1) You should first make a directory /mnt/gandalf_cd or whatever
(2) issue the following command:
smbmount \\\\gandalf\\d /mnt/gandalf_cd -N

(assuming "d" is the drive letter for your cd-rom)
-N option means don't ask for a password

.Cliff

> I am trying to mount a WIN95 shared directory on a redhat linux box, and
> am using smbmount //gandalf/cd_rom mnt/cdrom -n

> The mount works fine however when I issue a ls command not all of the
> files in the directory are listed!!

> For example ls on the rpms directory gives me everything alphabetically
> A... to E... so I cant see the sampa.rpms to re install it - arghh!!

> Sometimes all of the files are listed but repeating the ls command a
> couple of times reduces the amount displayed ??

> for example ls on the rpms directory gives me everything alphabetically
> A... to E... so I cant see the sampa.rpms to re install it - arghh!!

> smbmount v 2.0.1

> When i attempt to smbumount /mnt/cdrom i get the message
> /mnt/cdrom probably not smb-filesystem
> However umount /mnt/cdrom does work

> This same problem also occurs on shares on the WIN95 machine, not just
> the CD rom

> Has anyone any ideas?

> Pete

odd smbmount problem

Post by Pete Woo » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Cliff

Thanks for the info

The share on my Win95 box is CDROM, Computername gandalf. A directory
/mnt/cdrom exists on the linux box

I have tried the smbmount you suggested however linux objects to the
syntax, the manual says smbmount //server/service mount-ppoint [options]

i.e // not \\\\

I have recently found a README in directory /usr/doc/smbfs2.0.11 that
suggests settin a switch in the configuration file if a win95 machine is
being connected to however I cannot find this switch in the smb.conf
file

Ah well, I shall keep plugging away!!

Thanks Pete

writes