IP FireWall and forwarding trouble?

Post by Haris Askan » Wed, 27 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I have setup the linux box and have compiled my own nifty kernel.

 I use ipfwadm to route everything from my ethernet (with TCP) LAN
to the sl0 device after I slip the machine in. This is the weird thing
about it! When I try to PING anything out there (internet) including
the sl0's default host, from the LAN, I see the SD LED on the external
modem blinking but the RD doesn't as it should! meaning, the packets
are beeing forwarded from the linux's interface to the LAN to the sl0
and the Internet but the internet doesn't realy reply back! WHY? Does
anybody know the problem of a way around it?

 please reply by email if possible,
askano

Post by Erik Aronsso » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I have setup the linux box and have compiled my own nifty kernel.

>  I use ipfwadm to route everything from my ethernet (with TCP) LAN
> to the sl0 device after I slip the machine in. This is the weird thing
> about it! When I try to PING anything out there (internet) including
> the sl0's default host, from the LAN, I see the SD LED on the external
> modem blinking but the RD doesn't as it should! meaning, the packets
> are beeing forwarded from the linux's interface to the LAN to the sl0
> and the Internet but the internet doesn't realy reply back! WHY? Does
> anybody know the problem of a way around it?

>  please reply by email if possible,
> askano

It's probebly a routing problem.
I hade the same problem.
I solved it by comenting out the last lines in my /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
It lets your slip to set the default gateway.

//Erik

1. IP forwarding is only good for port forwarding of only one IP ?

I have two IP from my provider ( or two web address) and only one isdn line.
With linux and only one IP, I can masquerade all my local network to use
only that one IP.
Perfect up to now.

Then I want to forward the other IP to a NT server inside my local network.
(like 2 company on the same network).

ipfwadm 2.30 with linux 2.0.36 can not do that, because nobody know how to
do it (I read a lot of HowTo).
or may be it's not possible with ipfwadm. All people think that nobody want
that.

is-it true ?

2. URGENT: Bourne Shell for VMS??

3. Masquerading Trouble...firewall and forwarding work great. (help)

4. Configuring TC5048 Ethernet Card

5. Arno Firewall question: Internal PC's can't get to IP forwarded service/webserver

6. Help with method to manage 25,000 name email list

7. IP forwarding and firewall FAQ-Help!

8. ep0 driver development?

9. IP Forwarding vs Proxy/Firewall

10. IP forwarding in firewalls and masquerade boxes

11. How do I get NAT, Firewall, and IP Forwarding to work?

12. Firewalling/IP Forwarding: How many BogoMips needed?

13. ip-forwarding in both directions, local net, firewall