NIS setup

Post by p coope » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:35:23

read stuff about LDAP & had t go and have a lie down.
Trying to configure NIS

http://www.linux-nis.org/nis-howto/HOWTO/ypserv.html
got as far as :
Make sure the portmapper (portmap(8)) is running, and start the server
ypserv. The command

% rpcinfo -u localhost ypserv

should output something like

program 100004 version 1 ready and waiting
program 100004 version 2 ready and waiting
this is what happens-

router yp # rpcinfo -u localhost ypserv
rpcinfo: RPC: Program not registered
program 100004 is not available

router yp # ps -A |grep portmap
1388 ? 00:00:00 portmap
what now?
program registered with what?

NIS setup

Post by ynotsso » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:54:31

Quote:> read stuff about LDAP & had t go and have a lie down.
> Trying to configure NIS

> http://www.linux-nis.org/nis-howto/HOWTO/ypserv.html
> got as far as :
> Make sure the portmapper (portmap(8)) is running, and start the server
> ypserv. The command

> % rpcinfo -u localhost ypserv

> should output something like

> program 100004 version 1 ready and waiting
> program 100004 version 2 ready and waiting
> this is what happens-

> router yp # rpcinfo -u localhost ypserv
> rpcinfo: RPC: Program not registered
> program 100004 is not available

> router yp # ps -A |grep portmap
> 1388 ? 00:00:00 portmap
> what now?
> program registered with what?

Registered with the portmapper. You have to start the ypserv daemon as
mentioned in the "howto" quote you provided, and depending on your distro,
it may be something like:

     /etc/rc.d/init.d/ypserv start

although you'll want to enable the ypserv scripts to startup at boot time in
multi-user mode, and the ypclient scripts on the client machine(s).

        tony

--
use hotmail com for any email replies

1. NIS or NIS + setup

Hi ALL,

      I wonder if NIS+ development on Linux is realy stopped. And if
someone out there has any clue to give me about athoner software
that could substitute NIS/NIS+ function.
      Thanks a lot.

Sandra

2. Multisession CD's

3. NIS setup question

4. muti-boot cd

5. NIS setup problem

6. make problems

7. NIS setup

8. Stopping Cron from sending E-Mails?

9. NIS setup problem on Solaris 2.6 5/98

10. NIS + setup

11. NIS setup - need source code for yppasswdd

12. NIS Setup Help: "Can't bind to server which serves this domain"

13. NIS Setup