DHCP won't work

Post by Bob Sco » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone give me some insight into why dhcpd would fail?  I've got a
linux install at work and have tried to configure it for DHCP (that being
what the IS department uses here), but when I try to bring the networking
up (using ifup eth0), I get to the "Using DHCP ..." line and then it
hangs for about 15 seconds and finally fails.

I'm using RedHat 5.0 if that's any help.

BTW, I couldn't find any configuration file where I could tell dhcpd what
DHCP server to go to.  Checked the FAQs and HOWTOs already...

--
Bob Scott

DHCP won't work

Post by Vladimir Vuks » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

>Can anyone give me some insight into why dhcpd would fail?  I've got a
>linux install at work and have tried to configure it for DHCP (that being
>what the IS department uses here), but when I try to bring the networking
>up (using ifup eth0), I get to the "Using DHCP ..." line and then it
>hangs for about 15 seconds and finally fails.

>I'm using RedHat 5.0 if that's any help.

>BTW, I couldn't find any configuration file where I could tell dhcpd what
>DHCP server to go to.  Checked the FAQs and HOWTOs already...

What you are looking for is not DHCPd but DHCPcd. Please read

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/DHCP.html

Vladimir

1. DHCP, worked with 2.6 but won't work with Solaris 8!

I just upgraded an Ultra AXi based server from Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 8.
Almost everything went very well and the upgrade was well worth the effort
but for some I can't get DHCP to work!

I copied over my known working configuration files from 2.6 and when
I go to try to run the in.dhcpd program I get the following:

Nov 28 22:59:12 server in.dhcpd[22295]: Error binding to UDP receive socket: Address already in use
Nov 28 22:59:12 server in.dhcpd[22295]: Cannot configure any interfaces.

Netstat does show that port 67 is in use but I can't figure out what it
could be:

      *.67                                  Idle

I did check but there isn't a bootpd running.  I even tried rebooting
but I get the exact same error during the automatic starting of
in.dhcpd as well.

--
Gregory Gulik                        NEW!  http://www.drivingevents.com/

2. looking for a friendly BSD/OS site to compile 4 programs

3. Telnet won't work with dhcp or CIDR?

4. Bash startup files via rsh

5. DHCP Won't work!!!

6. support for NCR voyager

7. DHCP client - some software won't work

8. HOW TO KILL ARTICLE !!!

9. Linux DHCP and Win'95 DHCP Client??

10. DHCP won't work

11. DHCP won't work!

12. CD won't work, system won't reboot...please help

13. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!