newbie needs help: remote login to linux box from internal LAN

newbie needs help: remote login to linux box from internal LAN

Post by Brian Lappi » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:18:58

Hello All -

I've got a Red Hat 7.x gateway with a couple of Windows XP/NT machines in my
internal LAN.  I'd like to initiate a shell session on my Linux box from one
of my Windows machines.  When I try to SSH or Telnet to the Linux box, the
connection is refused.

Any help is much appreciated.

Brian

newbie needs help: remote login to linux box from internal LAN

Post by Marek Zachar » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:40:22

Quote:> Hello All -

> I've got a Red Hat 7.x gateway with a couple of Windows XP/NT machines in
my
> internal LAN.  I'd like to initiate a shell session on my Linux box from
one
> of my Windows machines.  When I try to SSH or Telnet to the Linux box, the
> connection is refused.

> Any help is much appreciated.

probably the ssh daemon is not started.
to start it 'by hand' login on RedHat box using console as root and type
/etc/init.d/sshd start
to start the daemon every time at boot, the easiest way on RedHat is to run
ntsysv
and check the sshd box in the list. then quit - the config will be saved.

Of course I assumed you have installed the sshd with RedHat, but untill
you manually decided not to install it, it should be installed by default.

Marek

Post by Captain Dond » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:54:49

> Hello All -

> I've got a Red Hat 7.x gateway with a couple of Windows XP/NT machines in my
> internal LAN.  I'd like to initiate a shell session on my Linux box from one
> of my Windows machines.  When I try to SSH or Telnet to the Linux box, the
> connection is refused.

> Any help is much appreciated.

> Brian

Make sure sshd is running on the RedHat box.  You can do this 3 ways:

run it from init (man inittab), inetd (or is it xinetd in RH 7.3?) -
anyway man inetd or xinetd, or from the startup scripts in
/etc/rc.d/init.d.

First you have to make sure sshd is installed.  rpm -qa | grep ssh should
tell you if ssh is installed.

kdessh-3.0.3-3
openssh-server-3.4p1-2
openssh-clients-3.4p1-2
openssh-askpass-3.4p1-2
openssh-3.4p1-2
openssh-askpass-gnome-3.4p1-2

Then see if you have the startup scripts.

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2647 Aug 14  2002 /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd

then run (as root) chkconfig sshd on

and that should start sshd on the reboot.  In the meantime, you can run it
manually by running /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd as root.

If you still get no connection, then you have to figure out what's
blocking the connection - like a firewall.

-Dondo

Post by Xyer » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:21:41

> Hello All -

> I've got a Red Hat 7.x gateway with a couple of Windows XP/NT machines in my
> internal LAN.  I'd like to initiate a shell session on my Linux box from one
> of my Windows machines.  When I try to SSH or Telnet to the Linux box, the
> connection is refused.

> Any help is much appreciated.

> Brian

firewall?

Post by Stuart » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:44:31

>> Hello All -

>> I've got a Red Hat 7.x gateway with a couple of Windows XP/NT machines in my
>> internal LAN.  I'd like to initiate a shell session on my Linux box from one
>> of my Windows machines.  When I try to SSH or Telnet to the Linux box, the
>> connection is refused.

>> Any help is much appreciated.

>> Brian

> Make sure sshd is running on the RedHat box.  You can do this 3 ways:

> run it from init (man inittab), inetd (or is it xinetd in RH 7.3?) -
> anyway man inetd or xinetd, or from the startup scripts in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d.

> First you have to make sure sshd is installed.  rpm -qa | grep ssh should
> tell you if ssh is installed.

> kdessh-3.0.3-3
> openssh-server-3.4p1-2
> openssh-clients-3.4p1-2
> openssh-askpass-3.4p1-2
> openssh-3.4p1-2
> openssh-askpass-gnome-3.4p1-2

> Then see if you have the startup scripts.

> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2647 Aug 14  2002 /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd

> then run (as root) chkconfig sshd on

> and that should start sshd on the reboot.  In the meantime, you can run it
> manually by running /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd as root.

> If you still get no connection, then you have to figure out what's
> blocking the connection - like a firewall.

> -Dondo

Also remember to update your sshd - there have been security updates since
7.3
Check out RedHat's errata for updates

newbie needs help: remote login to linux box from internal LAN

Post by Brian Lappi » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 04:50:44

I think my problem is that the SSH server is not intalled on my machine.

I get the following:

openssh-3.1p1-3
kdessh-3.0.0-4
openssh-askpass-3.1p1-3
openssh-askpass-gnome-3.1p1-3
openssh-clients-3.1p1-3
Which brings me to my next issue: I am having trouble intalling the openssh
package.I tried using the graphical KPackage program without luck.  I
downloaded newest package from RH, but it doesn't seem to want to intall.
Pls help!Thx.

> >> Hello All -

> >> I've got a Red Hat 7.x gateway with a couple of Windows XP/NT machines
in my
> >> internal LAN.  I'd like to initiate a shell session on my Linux box
from one
> >> of my Windows machines.  When I try to SSH or Telnet to the Linux box,
the
> >> connection is refused.

> >> Any help is much appreciated.

> >> Brian

> > Make sure sshd is running on the RedHat box.  You can do this 3 ways:

> > run it from init (man inittab), inetd (or is it xinetd in RH 7.3?) -
> > anyway man inetd or xinetd, or from the startup scripts in
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d.

> > First you have to make sure sshd is installed.  rpm -qa | grep ssh
should
> > tell you if ssh is installed.

> > kdessh-3.0.3-3
> > openssh-server-3.4p1-2
> > openssh-clients-3.4p1-2
> > openssh-askpass-3.4p1-2
> > openssh-3.4p1-2
> > openssh-askpass-gnome-3.4p1-2

> > Then see if you have the startup scripts.

> > -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2647 Aug 14  2002

/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd

> > then run (as root) chkconfig sshd on

> > and that should start sshd on the reboot.  In the meantime, you can run
it
> > manually by running /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd as root.

> > If you still get no connection, then you have to figure out what's
> > blocking the connection - like a firewall.

> > -Dondo

> Also remember to update your sshd - there have been security updates since
> 7.3
> Check out RedHat's errata for updates

1. I need help connecting linux box to LAN

I cannot get my Linux machine to see anything else on my LAN.
I have five windows machines and one Linux machine. I want o get the
Linux box to interact with the windows machines.
I have done a fresh install of Linux Redhat7.1 using kernel 2.4.2 -2

I have installed the following.

Redhat 7.1Kernel 2.4.2 -2
128MB ram
6.4 GB hard drive
Let the install configure the swap and working partition
Used a Medium setting on the firewall settings
I have an RTL8139A as eth0

I tried "ifconfig".  It displayed the following, on your machine that
were
Successfully activated.

In addition, I watched the eth0 line as it came across the screen and
it said that started OK

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:37:6C:27
                 inet addr:192.168.1.6  Bcast:192.168.1.255
        Mask:255.255.255.0
             UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
             RX packets:0 errors: dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
             collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
              Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe800

Lo      Link encap:Local Loopback
        inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
        UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
             collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

After I set the card parameters in did this, and this is the result.

cd to /etc/rc.d/init.d
then type ./network restart

When I do this, I get a message stating

Shutting down interface eth0:           [OK]
Disabling Ipv4 packet forwarding:               [OK]
Setting network parameters:             [OK]
Bringing up interface lo:                       [OK]
Bringing up interface eth0:             [OK]

However, if I run ping to my router or any other computer on the
system I get the message, says "network is unreachable".

HELP!
I guess the first bit of information is   what am I doing wrong, how
do I fix it, I will then go on from there.

If I need to further set up items what and where do I set it up?

Thanks,

2. Newbie: LILO default

3. how to substitute the remote login menu for the regular login text box in CDE.

4. Dual HDD question

5. Need help on Linux setup LAN within LAN

6. lp, spooler hangs on biger files

7. Remote logins to Linux box from dtlogin ?

8. Crippling Network problem

9. My linux box is rejecting remote logins

10. Dos remote login to Linux box - pcnfs??

11. Remote login to a linux box from the Internet

12. Can't login/ftp from a remote Linux box after installing DNS services

13. MASQing-Internal W98 box works while Linux boxes won't