multiple IP's on single interface: kernel or program feature?

multiple IP's on single interface: kernel or program feature?

Post by Alan Murrel » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:06:26

Hello,

I am currently running "Smoothwall GPL" as my firewall, but it does not
have support for multiple IP's on a single interface, which I would like
to use.  Is this something which is enabled in the kernel (and if so,
which one?), or is it an application that handles this.

On my Smoothwall box, I did try 'ifconfig eth1:1 192.168.1.100 netmask
255.255.255.0".  This showed up properly when I typed 'ifconfig', but the
ip address would not respond to a ping.  Just to make sure I did it
correctly, I did the same thing on my workstation, and was able to get a
ping resonse from it.

TIA for your help.

Post by Karl Heye » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:26:21

> Hello,

> I am currently running "Smoothwall GPL" as my firewall, but it does not
> have support for multiple IP's on a single interface, which I would like
> to use.  Is this something which is enabled in the kernel (and if so,
> which one?), or is it an application that handles this.

multiple IP needs to be supported by the kernel, the kernel deals with
the IP.

Quote:> On my Smoothwall box, I did try 'ifconfig eth1:1 192.168.1.100 netmask
> 255.255.255.0".  This showed up properly when I typed 'ifconfig', but the
> ip address would not respond to a ping.  Just to make sure I did it
> correctly, I did the same thing on my workstation, and was able to get a
> ping resonse from it.

The aliased way of doing multiple IPs is supported but is deprecated
way.  look into the advanced routing howto and similar for things like
iproute.

As for why the above didn't work, it's hard to say without knowing the
setup, namely the interfaces, routing and firewall setup.

karl.

Post by Alan Murrel » Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:25:13

> multiple IP needs to be supported by the kernel, the kernel deals with
> the IP.

Okay, so it's likely a kernel option that has been disabled.

Quote:> The aliased way of doing multiple IPs is supported but is deprecated
> way.  look into the advanced routing howto and similar for things like
> iproute.

I will have a look into that; thank you.

Quote:> As for why the above didn't work, it's hard to say without knowing the
> setup, namely the interfaces, routing and firewall setup.

Well, I know it is disabled by default, since their commercial arm
("Smoothwall Ltd.") sell a "patch" that allows multiple IP's on an
interface (it's about $100USD or so, last time I looked, which was a while
back, admittedly.  I'm using the GPL'd version, which they bill as their
"taster" product).  If it is a kernel option that has been disabled, then
i should be able to just simply compile a news kernel on my worksation,
and copy it obver to the Smoothwall machine.

Thanx for your help.

1. Multiple IP aliases on single interface

I'm developing a internet traffic generation engine on Linux kernal.
I want to assign a single nic to a large range of IP space (like
several C-classes or B-class or more).
I sucessfully tested 200 IP aliases in one C-class.
Some previous posts say the maximum number of IP alias is 255.
Can I assign multiple aliases more than 255 to a single physical
interface ?
Thanks in advance.
/Hyungsuk Kim

2. Enter to Win a 2.1 GB Hard Drive - Running Dog Sweepstakes

3. multiple IP addrs on single net interface

4. Q: logging NIS+ authentications?

5. HOWTO: set Multiple IP address on a single Ethernet interface?

6. Help : Ethernet Card

7. SIngle IP on multiple interfaces

8. Shell scripts: Sending signals

9. Single eth interface - multiple IP addr

10. multiple ip addresses on single interface

11. Does AIX support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a single network interface using single IP

12. Virtual IP's off a single interface

13. Multiple IP's Single Linux Box??