Help with smbmount

Post by Russell Adam » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I've been trying to mount a UNIX filesystem on a Linux box using
smbmount.

The command i've been typing is:
smbmount service name mount point -U username, as described in the
manual page.
The username and password are the ones i use to log onto the UNIX box.

I keep getting the message
mount error: Invalid argument, after typing the password in.

The message is no help whatsoever. I can access the filesystem following
a similar procedure using the smbclient command, so I know that the
command should work. I don't actually have Samba running on the Linux
box as i'm not sharing any filesystems or printers from my machine with
any Unix or NT machines.

Can anyone help?

Russell

Help with smbmount

Post by Richard Torka » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I've been trying to mount a UNIX filesystem on a Linux box using
> smbmount.

> The command i've been typing is:
> smbmount service name mount point -U username, as described in the
> manual page.
> The username and password are the ones i use to log onto the UNIX box.

> I keep getting the message
> mount error: Invalid argument, after typing the password in.

> The message is no help whatsoever. I can access the filesystem following
> a similar procedure using the smbclient command, so I know that the
> command should work. I don't actually have Samba running on the Linux
> box as i'm not sharing any filesystems or printers from my machine with
> any Unix or NT machines.

> Can anyone help?

> Russell

Read in /var/log/messages directly after you've tried that.
It may give you a clue.
In my case I needed to upgrade to samba-2.0.3 since I upgraded my
kernel.

Richard
--
http://milkyway.thn.htu.se/~ds98rito/
Hoping the problem magically goes away

Help with smbmount

Post by Russell Adam » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

> > I've been trying to mount a UNIX filesystem on a Linux box using
> > smbmount.
> Read in /var/log/messages directly after you've tried that.
> It may give you a clue.
> In my case I needed to upgrade to samba-2.0.3 since I upgraded my
> kernel.

Thanks,

I get messages such as:

su[number] +ttyp2  nra-root

Any ideas? Does smbmount run as setuid? The problem could then be that the
Linux box is trying to talk to the UNIX box as root?

Quote:

> Richard
> --
> http://milkyway.thn.htu.se/~ds98rito/
> Hoping the problem magically goes away
> by ignoring it is the "microsoft approach to programming"
> and should never be allowed.
>                 (Linus Torvalds)
> PGP Key ID / PGP Key Fingerprint:
> D40BA0AD   / C7 5D A3 B7 1A 28 7E CE  E6 41 82 AE E6 EC 20 D1

1. need help with smbmount

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong or if i forgot to set something up but when i try to mount one of
my networked winNT shared drives i get this message:

bsdn:/# smbmount //bsdn-storage/images /home/ftp/pub
mount error: No such device
Please look at smbmount's manual page for possible reasons

But when i use the smbclient \\\\bsdn-storage\\images <password>, it can access and do everything
right. Someone please help :)

2. test

3. [Fwd: Help with smbmount]

4. nit_buf

5. smbmount help

6. asus p3b-f, p3-500, bt958

7. HELP: smbmount samba 2.0.5a restricted to root only

8. LINUX 56K MODEM WEBSITES FOUND!! Linux PCI modem found

9. need help with samba smbmount

10. Help ... smbmount fails????

11. confused about smbmount. Please help!

12. SMBmount problem [help]

13. Help - Zip doesn't archive some smbmount'ed directories