Two Samba process (smbd) running at the same time

Two Samba process (smbd) running at the same time

Post by Didier » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Since I installed RH 7.0 I have following problem :

At boot-up, I have ONE nmbd and ONE smbd process running.

When I access to shares from a Windows box, a second smbd process
starts and I have TWO smbd process  running in memory.

Is it normal with RH 7.0 ?

Any help ?

Best regards.

To answer by Email, remove -NOSPAM in address.
Pour repondre par Email, enlever -NOSPAM dans l'adresse.

Two Samba process (smbd) running at the same time

Post by Cowles, Stev » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Since I installed RH 7.0 I have following problem :

> At boot-up, I have ONE nmbd and ONE smbd process running.

> When I access to shares from a Windows box, a second smbd process
> starts and I have TWO smbd process  running in memory.

> Is it normal with RH 7.0 ?

Sounds normal to me. I'm running RH6.1 with Samba 2.0.7. I see an additional
smbd process for each user.

In fact, on a real busy samba server, you could see dozens upon dozens of
smbd processes. FWIW: The additional processes should eventually remove
themselves after share inactivity and then respawn when needed.

Steve Cowles

1. Two smbd processes running... Why?

I currently have Samba running on a Linux box (Kernel 2.0.29).  My
problem
is that there is an extra smbd process running...

I have nmbd and smbd set to start automatically which they do, but later

on (I 'believe' when someone tries to browse the shares) a second
instance
of smbd starts.

Does anyone know 'why' this would happen?  I haven't included
any config files because I don't have access to them right now.
Hopefully
someone can help me out without me needing to dig up that info, 8^)

Thanks in advance,

2. USB mass-storage devices?

3. SAMBA: smbd will not run.... (please help)

4. Caldera Install to existing Linux install...

5. how to make two processes locating at different machines run at the same time!

6. AfterStep: need help

7. Don't want the process run second time.

8. NCSA 1.4 & Linux Problem

9. rlogin, two processes running in the same time???

10. Run a process 10 times per second

11. How to make two processes locating in different machines run at the same time?

12. Debugger, run time checking, attaching to a running process

13. smbd or smbd -D