Failover Network Interfaces

Post by bljohn.. » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I've got two machines running as web servers (both running RedHat 6.1),
with a Cisco Load Director directing load to each machine depending on
which has the least load.  Each machine also has 2 network cards.

Is there a way to use these network cards as "failovers"?  In other
words, if one network card for some unknown reason has a hardware
failure and stops working (or lets say I just unplug the network cable
from one and plug it into the other) and it can no longer see the
network - is there a way to have Linux switch over to the second
network card and use that one?  (and if possible continue using it with
the same IP address)

I noticed "Linux HA" Heartbeat which does cluster management, but could
I use that on ONE machine and just use it between the two network
interfaces?

Any help would be appreciated,

- Brent

Thanks,

- Brent

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Network interface failover software

Dear All,

Im looking for a solution to following situation:

We have a Sun Solaris server with two network interfaces. One primary and
one standby/spare interface.
Interfaces are connected to two separate/redundant network switches (primary
and standby). Interfaces are connected to the same subnet.
Behind the switches we have two redundant routers running HSRP protocol
(which means that we have only one default gateway).

Now to the question:
Is there any software which can move IP address to standby interface (local
fail over) in case the primary interface loses  contact with the network
(for example primary switch gets broken) ?

I know that I could solve this with both interfaces active (two IP
addresses) and RIP or OSPF, but I would like to have solution with primary
and standby interface.

Regards Gregor

2. mmap problem in pci driver

3. network interface failover

4. respawning too fast: disabled forever in 5 minute increments

5. IP Multipathing Problem (cannot failover interfaces)

6. gimp incomplete?

7. QFE interface failover

8. vms -> solaris time conversion

9. network interface names ethX and renaming interfaces

10. How do you setup network fault tolerance/failover

11. 5.6: failover routing - using 2 routes to the same network

12. DHCP failover without shared-network.

13. Network failover script