DHCP oddities with Cable Modem

Post by Bubba the Wise and Magnificen » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 02:01:10

Hi.

I'm running into problems with Redhat Linux 7.2 over my current cable modem.
The machine is a dual-boot system and when booted into Win98 works fine.
When I boot up in Linux, the system times out initializing eth0.  My initial
thought was that there was a problem with ipchains, but I have the same
difficulty when it is disabled.

I am on the Comcast cable network, RH 7.2, running whatever DHCP client is
enabled by default (dhcpcd I think.)

Any ideas on what to try next?

                http://www.usenet.com

DHCP oddities with Cable Modem

Post by Bit Twist » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 03:04:15

Quote:

> I'm running into problems with Redhat Linux 7.2 over my current cable modem.
> The machine is a dual-boot system and when booted into Win98 works fine.
> When I boot up in Linux, the system times out initializing eth0.  My initial
> thought was that there was a problem with ipchains, but I have the same
> difficulty when it is disabled.

> I am on the Comcast cable network, RH 7.2, running whatever DHCP client is
> enabled by default (dhcpcd I think.)

> Any ideas on what to try next?

I'll take a SWAG

CXXXXXX-X is the host name found under network properties (righ click icon)
on windoze box.  At dos prompt, ipconfig /all for network settings for linux.

try adding
DHCP_HOSTNAME="CXXXXXX-X"  to  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
and change BOOTPROTO=dhcp

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart       to see [ok]

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

DHCP oddities with Cable Modem

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:07:05

Hi!,

Quote:

> Hi.

> I'm running into problems with Redhat Linux 7.2 over my current cable
> modem. The machine is a dual-boot system and when booted into Win98 works
> fine. When I boot up in Linux, the system times out initializing eth0.  My
> initial thought was that there was a problem with ipchains, but I have the
> same difficulty when it is disabled.

> I am on the Comcast cable network, RH 7.2, running whatever DHCP client is
> enabled by default (dhcpcd I think.)

In addition to what Bit Twiser has suggested, check the firewall rules on your
RH 7.2 box and make sure that there are no rules blocking access to the ports
used for the DHCP communication process.  For a DHCP server it would be port
67 (TCP/UDP) and for port 68 (TCP/UDP).

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. Route Problem

3. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

4. Sun Internet Mail Server- Any good ?

5. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

6. Does not like my video card

7. DHCP configuration with cable modem (RCN) and Mandrake 7.2

8. nntp can't talk to you : message

9. RH 6.0 + Cable Modem using DHCP - I just want to die...

10. DHCP & Cable Modem

11. DHCP Trouble with RCN cable modem

12. Solaris 8 using dhcp & cable modem

13. DHCP problem with cable modem ?