HELP: Sharing Access Database on Linux File Server is Slow

HELP: Sharing Access Database on Linux File Server is Slow

Post by Anonymou » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Greetings all,
I recently setup a file server running Linux (RedHat 5.2). The network
hardware fully supports 100 Mbits and Samba is running so that WIn95
workstations and share files on server. (the create mode is set to 0766).
Copying, saving, etc is pretty quick except for one thing; I have shared
Access databases (.mdb) located on the Linux server that are used
simultaneously by several users and saving operations that normally should
only take 3-10 seconds now take 3 to 10 minutes! What's going on? Any
suggestions?

Thanks for the advice,
Curtis

Post by Marti » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>We had a similar problem when we put an Access database on an NT server.  We
>moved the database to a Unix server (Solaris 2.6) and let the clients access
>it via hummingbird nfs.  Still unacceptably slow.

>Luckily, we have paid for Microsoft Premier Support.  We decided to use it.
>Microsoft told us that we're not supposed to do that.  Access databases are
>only supposed to be accessed from the local disk.  If you need to share a
>database, Microsoft says that you need to setup an SQL server and put the
>data there.

>The problem is not Linux.

It is certainly true that it is not a good idea to use .mdb Access databases
across a lan, but I am surprised that the original poster is seeing such a
large degradation. We have run Access to databases on file servers at the far
end of a 64k ISDN line and, though the performance is irritatingly slow, it is
usable. On a 100 Base/T network, I would not have expected the degradation to
be very noticable.

I wonder if you have all the necessary indexes in place? You must remember
that Access reading an mdb database across a network is not running in
client/server mode - it is opening a binary file and reading it random access.
If you don't have the appropriate indexes in place, it will have to do table
scans which could involve moving large amounts of data back and forth across
your lan. If the database has not been compacted for a while and has become
fragmented, this could become even worse...

The lack of indexes would impact on local performance as well, of course, but
if you have enough memory in the machine for it to have allocated a reasonably
large disk cache, this may not be very noticable. Networked disk access,
however, can never be safely cached, so you will always see a substantial
performance hit...

Martin

Post by t.. » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Greetings all,
>I recently setup a file server running Linux (RedHat 5.2). The network
>hardware fully supports 100 Mbits and Samba is running so that WIn95
>workstations and share files on server. (the create mode is set to 0766).
>Copying, saving, etc is pretty quick except for one thing; I have shared
>Access databases (.mdb) located on the Linux server that are used
>simultaneously by several users and saving operations that normally should
>only take 3-10 seconds now take 3 to 10 minutes! What's going on? Any
>suggestions?

>Thanks for the advice,
>Curtis

Funny, I'm doing just that with win98 workstations.  on a BNC (coax)
network.  Database functions are slower than on local drives but not
that bad.  I get about a 3 second delay when the network is busy.  of
corse my shared database is only 10 meg to hold our store's inventory
and customer base and such.  I don't remember doing anything special
to make it work....

1. Microsoft Access database file problems on Samba share

We are trying to convert from NT server to Linux using Samba. We have got
most file types to work fine and seem to have sorted out issues of ownership
and permissions, but are stuck with Microsoft Access mdb files accessed over
the network by NT clients.

The first problem was that mdb files were inaccessible when already open by
another user. We experimented with the following parameters in the
appropriate share in the smb.conf file and, while they made the mdb files
accessible, they gave rise to unacceptable problems when 2 people had one
mdb file open simultaneously

locking = no (default is yes, scope is share)
share modes = no (default is yes, scope is share)

The first on its own did not solve the problem of simultaneous access.

Both together allowed simultaneous access but gave rise to editing problems,
in particular, 2 records could be created with the same autonumber id - not
an acceptable result. The second line on its own prevented our standard
optimistic record locking from working at all - again not an acceptable
result.

Has anyone cracked these problems? I don't want to be defeated on this and
have to go back to NT having got so far in other respects.

(samba running on suse Linux, patched up to date, NT workstations on the
LAN)

Thanks in advance,

--
Nick Mahoney
O'Mahoney Associates Ltd

W www.oma.ws

2. PPPD + SETI = Crash?

3. Help with sharing database on a Linux server

4. Linux BSOD?

5. Microsoft Access database file problems on Samba share

6. SP : Supressing an adapter definition

7. Help with sharing database on Linux server

8. MFC for Linux

9. Need help accessing shared files in window on Linux and windows printer on Linux.

10. Where to get some C library for making database file & accessing SQL server !?

11. HELP: Collisions slowing down network to Linux file server

12. HELP: Network collisions slowing down connection to Linux file server

13. Access SQL Server database from Linux?