Printing over IPX

Post by Wick » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi Folks,
I need a Printserver wich can print over IPX.
I have to Networkprinter that understand only IPX.
Because its a Migration from Novell to Linux.
So i have to setup the Printer under Linux with IPX as Protokoll.
The communication to the Workstations is handled by TCP/IP.
Have anyone a suggestion for me ???

Christoph

Printing over IPX

Post by Pat Thoyt » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi Folks,
> I need a Printserver wich can print over IPX.
> I have to Networkprinter that understand only IPX.
> Because its a Migration from Novell to Linux.
> So i have to setup the Printer under Linux with IPX as Protokoll.
> The communication to the Workstations is handled by TCP/IP.
> Have anyone a suggestion for me ???

> Christoph

I used to do this using the mars_nwe stuff. There is a nwprint command
that accepts something like:
  cat file | nwprint -S NWHOME -q QUEUE -b USERNAME -
The man page can show you what to do.

--
Pat Thoyts          To reply, rot13 the Return address, or don't.
PGP fingerprint 2C 6E 98 07 2C 59 C8 97  10 CE 11 E6 04 E0 B9 DD

Printing over IPX

Post by Gustin Kiffne » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:01:00

[posted and mailed]
You could set up a print queue on the Linux box, let's call it
'lpn', and in its /etc/printcap entry have it call a script
(if=my_script)
that runs nprint -S networkprinter -U whatever -P whatever inputfile
- that will work if your network printer acts as a print server.

If it does not, and only works with netware print queues, you will have
to set up mars-nwe (netware emulator) on the Linux box and have it
act as the print server and spool the files to the network ipx
printer.

Quote:> Hi Folks,
> I need a Printserver wich can print over IPX.
> I have to Networkprinter that understand only IPX.
> Because its a Migration from Novell to Linux.
> So i have to setup the Printer under Linux with IPX as Protokoll.
> The communication to the Workstations is handled by TCP/IP.
> Have anyone a suggestion for me ???

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. IPX based print router

I'm trying to set up an old, cheap printer server that I have.
It is called ZOT 525 and it's a small box with a Centrontics port on
one side and 10Mb ethernet on the other (and 9V power).

I can connect it to my 10/100 hub, run ethereal and see that it
sends out some IPX "rubbish" that ethereal claims to be malformed
packages.
The box has a sticker label where it says that the Node ID is
004001404391. In ethereal I see 00:40:01:40:43:91 in the packets,
using IEEE 802.3. It is broadcasting (I assume) to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.

Now, I don't know much about IPX, but I have tried to configure my
Linux laptop to use IPX without much success.
The "nprint" utility can be used to connect to a Novell print server,
but it wants a server name, a user name, a password and a printer
queue... I doubt that my little box is this complex.

Note that I don't have any Novell servers, only this box using IPX.
One W2K Pro is set up to use IPX on its interface, my laptop
running SuSE Linux 8.0 and there is the printer server.

How do I go about connecting to this print server?
How should I configure my Linux machine to work with it?

There is some info about it here:
http://www.hardwarezone.com/reviews/others/zot525/zot525.htm
http://www.01tech.com/r525.htm

It was made by "Zero One Technology":
http://www.zot.com.tw/newzot/default.htm

They say that it supports:

Fully supports Novell's Netware 3.x, 4.x and 5.x
Supports Netware "Print Server" mode
Supports multiple Netware print queues
Automatic frame types detection function
Automatically reattaches to Netware file server after the network
recovery.
Complies with ANSI/IEEE 802.3 Ethernet standard

2. Intel Lan Adapter supported?

3. IPX -> IP Tunnel = IPX over Intranet

4. Configuring telnet getty?

5. IPX print server from Linux?

6. XFree86 Where can i find chipset for MILLENIUM II?

7. Printing to an IPX printer

8. Q: How to abort a read in bourne.sh

9. Hardware: IPX: Network Collision (Help with turning off IPX)

10. IPX routing for multi-user games - IP works, IPX how?

11. file/print sharing with win9x/nt on ipx

12. File/Print sharing with IPX

13. IPX Print Que