Linux & Win95 Network - HELP!

Post by Robert Harriso » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Ok, I've read just about every FAQ I could get my hands on, I also bought
the 'Linux Network Administrator's Guide' and read all through that.  Still,
I can't seem to get my network going.

Info:

I have four computers and a laptop running on a 10baseT network.  All
computers are connected through a hub.  Four of the computers are running
Win95 and seem to be ok.  They all see each other in Network Neighborhood
and can ping each other.

Problem:

The Linux box seems to be ok.  The box can ping itself, but no other box.
None of the Win95 boxes can ping the Linux box.

I've checked and re-checked the cabling.  I've gone over all the networking
info, still I can't get it to work.  I'm running RedHat 4.2 and have been
through the 'netcfg' command as well as doing everything manually from the
prompt.

Question:

Can anybody give me help on what could be wrong, or some step-by-step
instructions to aid in troubleshooting this?  I've been driving myself nuts
for several days over this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd appreciate responses to my e-mail address.  Thanks.

Robert Harrison

(remove the NOSPAM to send me e-mail)

Linux & Win95 Network - HELP!

Post by John Rig » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

On 25 May 1998 15:09:36 EDT, "Robert Harrison"

>Ok, I've read just about every FAQ I could get my hands on, I also bought
>the 'Linux Network Administrator's Guide' and read all through that.  Still,
>I can't seem to get my network going.

>Info:

>I have four computers and a laptop running on a 10baseT network.  All
>computers are connected through a hub.  Four of the computers are running
>Win95 and seem to be ok.  They all see each other in Network Neighborhood
>and can ping each other.

>Problem:

>The Linux box seems to be ok.  The box can ping itself, but no other box.
>None of the Win95 boxes can ping the Linux box.

>I've checked and re-checked the cabling.  I've gone over all the networking
>info, still I can't get it to work.  I'm running RedHat 4.2 and have been
>through the 'netcfg' command as well as doing everything manually from the
>prompt.

>Question:

>Can anybody give me help on what could be wrong, or some step-by-step
>instructions to aid in troubleshooting this?  I've been driving myself nuts
>for several days over this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>I'd appreciate responses to my e-mail address.  Thanks.

>Robert Harrison

>(remove the NOSPAM to send me e-mail)

Do you have a HOSTS file set for each of the Windows boxes?

Linux & Win95 Network - HELP!

Post by c.. » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

when you ping are you entering the actual address or using the name?  We had a
bad hub.  1 port couldn't see one of the others it was wild.  have you shuffled the
connections in the hub?

Chris

>Ok, I've read just about every FAQ I could get my hands on, I also bought
>the 'Linux Network Administrator's Guide' and read all through that.  Still,
>I can't seem to get my network going.

>Info:

>I have four computers and a laptop running on a 10baseT network.  All
>computers are connected through a hub.  Four of the computers are running
>Win95 and seem to be ok.  They all see each other in Network Neighborhood
>and can ping each other.

>Problem:

>The Linux box seems to be ok.  The box can ping itself, but no other box.
>None of the Win95 boxes can ping the Linux box.

>I've checked and re-checked the cabling.  I've gone over all the networking
>info, still I can't get it to work.  I'm running RedHat 4.2 and have been
>through the 'netcfg' command as well as doing everything manually from the
>prompt.

>Question:

>Can anybody give me help on what could be wrong, or some step-by-step
>instructions to aid in troubleshooting this?  I've been driving myself nuts
>for several days over this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>I'd appreciate responses to my e-mail address.  Thanks.

>Robert Harrison

>(remove the NOSPAM to send me e-mail)

1. PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

Sorry, but TCP/IP is just the protocol for getting data packets from
one computer to another. You obviously didn't install a
unix-compatible network client on your windows-95 computer (such as
PC-NFS). I don't use Unix myself, but I would be surprised if
something like this didn't exist for Win95.

Arthur Hoornweg

2. Netscape & Applications

3. network freeze when adding win95 laptop to Linux/Win95 network

4. Would these PC's run Linux?

5. LILO & win95 & dos & Linux

6. Perl with ftp

7. TCP/IP Networking with Linux & Win95