localhost does not load in apache

Post by Micahe » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I am running RedHat 5.2 on a standalone machine.
When I enter http://localhost in the Netscape browser I get DNS errors.

It seems there is something wrong with my host name, as Linux halts for
about 60 secs during boot up when starting sendmail. The sendmail error
log indicates problems with the hostname.

The computer is set up as standard:
127.0.0.1 localhosts

I have also used the RedHat config tool to set it to localhost.
Any ideas?Do I need to set the domain to localdomain?

Thanks
Michael

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I am running RedHat 5.2 on a standalone machine.
>When I enter http://localhost in the Netscape browser I get DNS errors.

>It seems there is something wrong with my host name, as Linux halts for
>about 60 secs during boot up when starting sendmail. The sendmail error
>log indicates problems with the hostname.

>The computer is set up as standard:
>127.0.0.1 localhosts

Is that a typo or does it really say 'localhosts' (plural)?  Did you
change if from what it originally was.  My Redhat 5.2 set it as:

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain

I tried removing the localhost.localdomain at one point, but ran into some
sort of error during boot, so I put it back in.  Other systems like
Slackware just have the localhost without the localhost.localdomain.

--

http://www.de-srv.com/   http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/