kernel-recompilation due to network-problems

kernel-recompilation due to network-problems

Post by Erich Webe » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

I'm using a (SuSE) Linux-system with Kernel 2.0.33. Now I need a new
Kernel - version 2.0.36.

I followed all instructions to configure it. "make dep" and "make clean"
worked fine, but "make zImage" cancels with the following message:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.36.SuSE/include -V2.7.2.3 -Wall -Wstri
ct-p
rototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -malign-
loop
s=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586  -c -o init/main.o
init/main.c

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
cpp: output pipe has been closed
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

Maybe I should mention, that I used a source-code patch for an olicom
tokenring-card (olicom-2.0.36). But this source-code patch could be applied
without problems.

How can I run the "make zImage" sucessfully?

Thank you!

Erich

1. Problems regarding crypto filesystem after kernel recompilation

Dear Linux experts,

Why oh why didn't I observe the old "never touch a running system" rule?
Now I have apparently done something stupid and recompiled a SuSE 2.4.10
Kernel with crypto filesystem options.

I allready had the standard SuSE Kernel (2.4.10-4GB) running like a
charm, but I thought it was a bit too "fat", loaded with lots of stuff I
never need (like USB support etc.)

My /home Partition was encrypted using the loop0 device and twofish
algorithm.

I have now set the compile options

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_CIPHER_TWOFISH=y

directly into the kernel, since I need it all the time anyhow.

However after a reboot I cannto access my /home partition any more. When
I try to mount it manually using "mount -t ext3 /dev/loop0 /home" I get
an

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
or too many mounted file systems

error message. What did I do wrong? I do hope there is a non-destructive
way to get access to my /home partition again!

I don't dare issuing a "losetup -e twofish /dev/loop0 /dev/hdb5" command,
since it says all data on /dev/hdb5 will be lost.

Any help eagerly awaited and welcome!

Cheers

Jens

2. Memory and Processor boards... for the J40

3. Problem mounting vfat partitions after kernel recompilation

4. HELP!!! Linux vs. XTerms

5. Telnet Problems after Kernel ReCompilation

6. Yeah, right: installing LINUX

7. ObjDump Problems in kernel recompilation

8. Maximum Linux Magazine

9. Kernel and Recompilation Problems

10. Kernel recompilation problems

11. kernel recompilation problem

12. Kernel fails to run due to module problems

13. Questions concerning Kernel Update due to NFS Problem