Help ! Telnet takes forever !

Post by Andrew Mathe » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

G'day,

Here's one for the networking gurus.

I have a small LAN of 2 machines.  One exclusively RH4.1 with 2.0.30
kernel, compiled for IP Masqerading.  This machine acts as my Internet
gateway and Linux Server generally.

The other machine runs Win95/RH4.1.

The problem is that it takes AGES to connect between the local machines.
If the PPP link is up, it's quick as you like, but otherwise, it's 90 or
more secs.  Once the connection is actually made, eveything is nice and
quick.

This applies to Linux -> Linux connections and to Win95 -> Linux
connections.  It applies to telnet, ftp, X-apps, whatever.
The delay is too much for XVision, which will not connect at all unless
PPP is up.

Pinging either machine from the other gives sub 2 ms returns.

Both machines have each other in /etc/hosts and aslo in the Win95 hosts
file, but I'm not running any local name services

What confounds me is that if I dial up my ISP, it all runs nice and
quick ! I don't really want to have to dial up just to use local
connections !

Any clues as to my problem and where to look would be gratefully
recieved.

Please cc my e-mail (removing the NO_SPAM_THANX), as this newsserver is
a bit flaky and I may miss valuable info.

Thanks in anticipation,
Andrew

Help ! Telnet takes forever !

Post by Frank Sweetse » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> G'day,

> Here's one for the networking gurus.

> I have a small LAN of 2 machines.  One exclusively RH4.1 with 2.0.30
> kernel, compiled for IP Masqerading.  This machine acts as my Internet
> gateway and Linux Server generally.

> The other machine runs Win95/RH4.1.

> The problem is that it takes AGES to connect between the local machines.
> If the PPP link is up, it's quick as you like, but otherwise, it's 90 or
> more secs.  Once the connection is actually made, eveything is nice and
> quick.

Your linux machine is trying to do a reverse dns lookup on the ip of the
win95 machine, but can't contact a nameserver.  When the ppp link is up, it
gets a negative response right away, but when it's down, it has to wait for
the connection to time out.  Add an entry in /etc/hosts for the win95
client, and the problem should go away.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-5 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

Help ! Telnet takes forever !

Post by Tony Langd » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

It's 15 Aug 97  00:25,
We'll return to Andrew Mather and All's
discussion of Help ! Telnet takes forever !

 AM> I have a small LAN of 2 machines.  One exclusively RH4.1 with 2.0.30
 AM> kernel, compiled for IP Masqerading.  This machine acts as my Internet
 AM> gateway and Linux Server generally.

 AM> The other machine runs Win95/RH4.1.

 AM> The problem is that it takes AGES to connect between the local
 AM> machines. If the PPP link is up, it's quick as you like, but otherwise,
 AM> it's 90 or more secs.  Once the connection is actually made, eveything
 AM> is nice and quick.

Check your /etc/resolv.conf on the Linux box.  Make sure the line:

order    hosts,bind

is in there.  (you may find it's there, but with "hosts" and "bind"
swapped).  This change forces Linux's name resolver to query the hosts
file first, instead of trying to look up on a non-existent DNS (while
you're offline) first.

... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer ...
--
| Fidonet:  Tony Langdon 3:632/367.2

| Freeway Internet Gateway, Melbourne, Australia.  For information about
| our services and conditions of use, e-mail:

Help ! Telnet takes forever !

Post by Andrew Mathe » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>  AM> The problem is that it takes AGES to connect between the local
>  AM> machines. If the PPP link is up, it's quick as you like, but
> Check your /etc/resolv.conf on the Linux box.  Make sure the line:

> order    hosts,bind

> is in there.  (you may find it's there, but with "hosts" and "bind"
> swapped).  This change forces Linux's name resolver to query the hosts
> file first, instead of trying to look up on a non-existent DNS (while
> you're offline) first.

Yep, the line was there alright, as above, but the problem persisted
until on someone's suggestion I had 2 files, one with the ISP nameserver
and one with only local, which are copied into place by the ppp-up and
ppp-off scripts.

Works fine !

My X-apps are happy again !

Andrew

Help ! Telnet takes forever !

Post by Tony Langd » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

It's 18 Aug 97  23:19,

discussion of Help ! Telnet takes forever !

 am> Yep, the line was there alright, as above, but the problem persisted
 am> until on someone's suggestion I had 2 files, one with the ISP
 am> nameserver and one with only local, which are copied into place by the
 am> ppp-up and ppp-off scripts.

Good to hear it's fixed. :-)

 am> Works fine !

 am> My X-apps are happy again !

:-)

... #########---*  Watch it!  I've got Dynamite and I KNOW how to use it!
--
| Fidonet:  Tony Langdon 3:632/367.2

| Freeway Internet Gateway, Melbourne, Australia.  For information about
| our services and conditions of use, e-mail:

1. Telnet connection takes forever... Help!

Hello,

I am running Redhat 1.2.13 and I am, all of the sudden, having trouble
connecting via telnet.  When I telnet in nothing happens for approximatly
one minute.  Then the login prompt appears and all works well.

I have had the same problem on another Linux box: slackware 1.1.x.  I
solved that problem by setting up networking again using netconfig.
Redhat has no such command (at least none that I know of).

Does anyone have a fix???? Please????

-Boatner

2. Software for restricting IP access

3. login prompt takes forever via telnet

4. Why a penguin?

5. Telnet Takes Forever

6. Problem with xterm -C

7. Telnet takes forever to get login prompt

8. DNS and IP Masquerading

9. Help -- boot takes forever!!!

10. Help X takes forever to start

11. TRN takes forever and a day to load

12. internal zip drive takes forever to eject

13. arp -a takes forever