PPP / Ifconfig

PPP / Ifconfig

Post by John Tannahi » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00



Hi, I have had PPP connection to ISP working for more than a year. Kernel is
1.2.13. Recently, I reconfigured networking to use a different Ethernet
segment from the one I normally use and then changed it back to previous
config. I did not touch PPP options - only related change would have been to
resolv.conf which I also changed back. I can no longer establish ppp
connection - dial-up and authentication to ISP is OK, but pppd /dev/modem &
does not enable ppp0 i.e ppp0 interface does not show with ifconfig.  Any
ideas

 
 
 

PPP / Ifconfig

Post by Brian McCaule » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00



> Hi, I have had PPP connection to ISP working for more than a year. Kernel is
> 1.2.13. Recently, I reconfigured networking to use a different Ethernet
> segment from the one I normally use and then changed it back to previous
> config. I did not touch PPP options - only related change would have been to
> resolv.conf which I also changed back. I can no longer establish ppp
> connection - dial-up and authentication to ISP is OK, but pppd /dev/modem &
> does not enable ppp0 i.e ppp0 interface does not show with ifconfig.  Any
> ideas

Put "noipdefault" in your PPP options.

If you have an ethernet card installed then pppd will try to use the
the same IP address for your PPP interface unless you tell it not to.
Your ISP won't like this.

--

 .  _\\__[oo       from       | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

.  l___\\    /~~) /~~[  /   [ | PGP-fp: D7 03 2A 4B D8 3A 05 37...
 # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://wcl-l.bham.ac.uk/~bam/


 
 
 

PPP / Ifconfig

Post by Emmanuel Emo » Mon, 20 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Brian,

You mentioned that my ISP won't like the idea of placing "noipdefault" in my
ppp options file. Why not? I am also having problem establishing a dial-up ppp
connection using a Linux box connected to a local lan. I will try the
"noipdefault" and see what happens.



>> Hi, I have had PPP connection to ISP working for more than a year. Kernel is
>> 1.2.13. Recently, I reconfigured networking to use a different Ethernet
>> segment from the one I normally use and then changed it back to previous
>> config. I did not touch PPP options - only related change would have been to
>> resolv.conf which I also changed back. I can no longer establish ppp
>> connection - dial-up and authentication to ISP is OK, but pppd /dev/modem &
>> does not enable ppp0 i.e ppp0 interface does not show with ifconfig.  Any
>> ideas

>Put "noipdefault" in your PPP options.

>If you have an ethernet card installed then pppd will try to use the
>the same IP address for your PPP interface unless you tell it not to.
>Your ISP won't like this.

>--

> .  _\\__[oo       from       | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

>.  l___\\    /~~) /~~[  /   [ | PGP-fp: D7 03 2A 4B D8 3A 05 37...
> # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://wcl-l.bham.ac.uk/~bam/


 
 
 

PPP / Ifconfig

Post by Antonio Esposit » Mon, 20 Oct 1997 04:00:00



> Brian,

> You mentioned that my ISP won't like the idea of placing "noipdefault" in my
> ppp options file. Why not? I am also having problem establishing a dial-up ppp
> connection using a Linux box connected to a local lan. I will try the
> "noipdefault" and see what happens.

Hi you can try too with the command ifconfig eth0 down and ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
for exemple...

--

_______________________________________________________
Antonio Esposito  Administrateur Systme
http://www.change-espace.fr

Kourou Guyane Fran?aise
_______________________________________________________

 
 
 

1. ppp ifconfig problem

I have been having problems congiguring ppp in Solaris 2.4.  My boss has
been able to run the ifconfig's manually and then dial in successfully
with ppp from his house; however, if the ifconfig's are left
uncommented in asppp.cf, the machine stalls for a long time on boot when
it reaches the ifconfig's, as if the ifconfig's or asppp.cf was being
called too soon.  Has anyone seen this?  Got any ideas?  TIA
--

Home page: http://www.texmicro.com/~max - (an exercise in egomania)
  ___________________________________________________
  / // /// // /// // /// // /// // /// // /// // ///
 ---------------------------------------------------

2. does RH linux 8.0 comes with its own sound player ?

3. ppp ifconfig errors

4. Disk I/O is trashed with 5.0 release

5. PPP, ifconfig, route, IP_ALIAS ?

6. XFree86 setup under Caldera 3.1 server

7. user ppp / ifconfig alias problem

8. port 6000

9. ppp ifconfig errors

10. ppp won't ifconfig ppp interface

11. ifconfig le0 and ifconfig le1 show same MAC address

12. Weird ifconfig error: ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

13. ifconfig -a = ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface