should restart smb each time the smb.conf changed

should restart smb each time the smb.conf changed

Post by flintlo » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:41:27

We have a lan consist of 100 windows client, one samba server as file
server ,
but when a user is add in or add/delete a priviledge to a share folder
, then ,
I should restart the smb , then others is transferring the data will
get a error messages :the network is not available , and then the
connection is broken.

how can I avoide it ?

thx for any advice.

should restart smb each time the smb.conf changed

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 02:15:41

Quote:> We have a lan consist of 100 windows client, one samba server as
> file server ,
> but when a user is add in or add/delete a priviledge to a share
> folder , then ,
> I should restart the smb , then others is transferring the data
> will get a error messages :the network is not available , and then
> the connection is broken.

> how can I avoide it ?

> thx for any advice.

# rcsmb
Usage: /usr/sbin/rcsmb
{start|stop|status|try-restart|restart|force-reload|reload|probe}

Try 'reload'.

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

Post by flintlo » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 00:01:24

> > We have a lan consist of 100 windows client, one samba server as
> > file server ,
> > but when a user is add in or add/delete a priviledge to a share
> > folder , then ,
> > I should restart the smb , then others is transferring the data
> > will get a error messages :the network is not available , and then
> > the connection is broken.

> > how can I avoide it ?

> > thx for any advice.

> # rcsmb
> Usage: /usr/sbin/rcsmb
> {start|stop|status|try-restart|restart|force-reload|reload|probe}

> Try 'reload'.

Thx Michael,but dose rcsmb restart cause smbd restart ? if so , the connection
still will be cut down if the smbd restart.

Quote:> Michael Heiming

should restart smb each time the smb.conf changed

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 02:34:42

[..]
>> # rcsmb
>> Usage: /usr/sbin/rcsmb
>> {start|stop|status|try-restart|restart|force-reload|reload|probe}

>> Try 'reload'.
> Thx Michael,but dose rcsmb restart cause smbd restart ? if so ,
> the connection still will be cut down if the smbd restart.

I didn't wrote 'restart' which will of course restart smbd, if you
reread my post carefully, it was 'reload', rcsmb is just a script,
you can read to check whatever it does.

# less `which rcsmb`

Reload usually send a SIGHUP to the process, forcing it to reread
its configuration.

Michael Heiming
--

Post by flintlo » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:40:46

>  [..]
> >> # rcsmb
> >> Usage: /usr/sbin/rcsmb
> >> {start|stop|status|try-restart|restart|force-reload|reload|probe}

> >> Try 'reload'.

> > Thx Michael,but dose rcsmb restart cause smbd restart ? if so ,
> > the connection still will be cut down if the smbd restart.

> I didn't wrote 'restart' which will of course restart smbd, if you
> reread my post carefully, it was 'reload', rcsmb is just a script,
> you can read to check whatever it does.

> # less `which rcsmb`

> Reload usually send a SIGHUP to the process, forcing it to reread
> its configuration.

> Michael Heiming

sorry , Michael, I had searched and located in my Mandrake 8.1 , but
cannot find the rcsmb script, where can I find it and its mannual ?

should restart smb each time the smb.conf changed

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 02:33:20

[..]

Quote:> sorry , Michael, I had searched and located in my Mandrake 8.1 ,
> but cannot find the rcsmb script, where can I find it and its
> mannual ?

It should do the same as /etc/init.d/smb, often it's only a symlink
to this script, which starts/stops samba during runlevel change.
AFAIK there's no manual, it's just a short shell script you can
read.

 # /etc/init.d/smb
Usage: /etc/init.d/smb {start|stop|status|try-restart|restart
force-reload|reload|probe}

Good luck

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

1. SMB, printing over smb, kcmshell smb fail on Red Hat 7.3

I have just installed Red Hat 7.3, replacing Mandrake 8.2 (whose KDE3
upgrade wasn't quite working right).  I reformatted / and /boot while
leaving /home intact,.  In many respects 7.3 works very well.  It looks
good and works in most respects. But I can't get it to print.

I don't hook the printer to my machine directly; this is my home system, and
there's a Win98 box in the same room, connected via Ethernet.  I use smb to
print to the Epson via that machine; in Windows, it's a no-brainer, and
Network Neighborhood "just works".  When I installed Mandrake (8.1 and 8.2
both), I was impressed by how well it handled that arrangement.  But when I
installed Red Hat 7.3, anaconda never even asked me about printers.  It
just installed a zillion packages (custom selected) and finished.

I note that during one attempt to install, anaconda hung trying to read
lprng-3.8.9 (or whatever) off of the install CD (which I had burned from an
iso download).  And since anaconda locks the drive (a MAJOR problem), I had
to red-button restart and select all packages again, reformat, etc. And of
course I unselected lprng.  I don't know if that's the problem; is it
needed for smb printing?  Kpackage sees it on the cd and lists its files,
but doesn't seem to offer the "install" button.

Any clues are much appreciated!  Thanks.

2. invisible ^M (vi versus jove)

3. TEDDYS SMB.CONF v1.00(RTF, really this time, NNTP messed up)

4. teszt

5. TEDDYS SMB.CONF v1.00 (RTF, really this time)

6. local mail problems

7. Can connect to smb://192.168.0.112/share but not smb://NYS/share

8. FVWM and .fvwmrc

9. Such a thing as "Secure" SMB, ie encrypted SMB?

10. smbsh /smb: Do I create the directory /smb

11. smb restart issue on RH8

12. Permision Denied when Accessing smb.conf

13. smb.conf : allowing guest access