samba problem

Post by c.. » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have a problem with the configuration of the smb suite.
I am trying to configure a linux server with some windows 95/98
concurrent workstations.
In the linux box I want a shared disk for exchange data between users
and system printers (3).
From the windows workstation I can correctly work on the shared disk
but not the printers, the same printers that work perfectly
using the command lpr from the linux box.
In the "network resource" windows of the Win98 workstations I can see
the three printers but when I try to print a box opens with the
following error:
"Problem in printing due to a unknown error"

My smb.conf and printcap files are the following.

************************************** smb.conf
[global]
   workgroup = stc
   server string = Samba Server
   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   dns proxy = no
    lock directory = /var/lock/samba
    share modes = yes

[homes]
   security = user
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
    create mode = 0750
   writable = yes

[Stampante1]
 path = /var/spool/lpd/lpt1
 printer name = lpt1
 browsable = yes
 writable = yes
 public = yes
 printable = yes
 guest ok = yes
 create mode = 0622
 print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

[Stampante2]
 path = /var/spool/lpd/lpt2
 printer name = lpt2
 browsable = yes
 writable = yes
 public = yes
 printable = yes
 guest ok = yes
 create mode = 0622
 print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

[Stampante3]
 path = /var/spool/lpd/lpt3
 printer name = lpt3
 browsable = yes
 writable = yes
 public = yes
 printable = yes
 guest ok = yes
 create mode = 0622
 print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/public
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

************************************** printcap
#
# This printcap is being created with printtool v.3.27
# Any changes made here manually will be lost if printtool
# is run later on.
# The presence of this header means that no printcap
# existed when printtool was run.
#
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
lpt1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpt1:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpt1/filter:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
lpt2:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpt2:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpt2/filter:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
lpt3:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpt3:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp2:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpt3/filter:
***********************************

Many thanks to anybody who would be so kind to help me.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

samba problem

Post by John Simpso » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Have you managed to resolve this?

I've had the same problem  since I upgraded the kernel to 2.2.9 on my RedHat
5.2 box. (I also upgraded Samba to 2.0.3 as recommended). I had no trouble
getting it working before and I've trawled through all the documentation I
can find.

Could you (or anyone else) tell me what to do?

Thanks

John Simpson

> [...]

>    read only = no
>     create mode = 0750
>    writable = yes

> [Stampante1]
>  path = /var/spool/lpd/lpt1
>  printer name = lpt1
>  browsable = yes
>  writable = yes
>  public = yes
>  printable = yes
>  guest ok = yes
>  create mode = 0622
>  print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

> [Stampante2]
>  path = /var/spool/lpd/lpt2
>  printer name = lpt2
>  browsable = yes
>  writable = yes
>  public = yes
>  printable = yes
>  guest ok = yes
>  create mode = 0622
>  print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

> [Stampante3]
>  path = /var/spool/lpd/lpt3
>  printer name = lpt3
>  browsable = yes
>  writable = yes
>  public = yes
>  printable = yes
>  guest ok = yes
>  create mode = 0622
>  print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

> [tmp]
>    comment = Temporary file space
>    path = /tmp
>    read only = no
>    public = yes

> [public]
>    comment = Public Stuff
>    path = /home/public
>    public = yes
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no

> ************************************** printcap
> #
> # This printcap is being created with printtool v.3.27
> # Any changes made here manually will be lost if printtool
> # is run later on.
> # The presence of this header means that no printcap
> # existed when printtool was run.
> #
> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
> lpt1:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpt1:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpt1/filter:
> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
> lpt2:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpt2:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp1:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpt2/filter:
> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
> lpt3:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpt3:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp2:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpt3/filter:
> ***********************************

> Many thanks to anybody who would be so kind to help me.

Post by Andrew William » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I did not see the original posting, but try
chmod 1777
on your printer spool directory.

There is also a bug with your Samba version where 'printing' does not default to
'bsd' under some circumstances.  This has been fixed in the current level.

> [...]

> >    read only = no
> >     create mode = 0750
> >    writable = yes

> > [Stampante1]
> >  path = /var/spool/lpd/lpt1
> >  printer name = lpt1
> >  browsable = yes
> >  writable = yes
> >  public = yes
> >  printable = yes
> >  guest ok = yes
> >  create mode = 0622
> >  print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

> > [Stampante2]
> >  path = /var/spool/lpd/lpt2
> >  printer name = lpt2
> >  browsable = yes
> >  writable = yes
> >  public = yes
> >  printable = yes
> >  guest ok = yes
> >  create mode = 0622
> >  print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

> > [Stampante3]
> >  path = /var/spool/lpd/lpt3
> >  printer name = lpt3
> >  browsable = yes
> >  writable = yes
> >  public = yes
> >  printable = yes
> >  guest ok = yes
> >  create mode = 0622
> >  print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

> > [tmp]
> >    comment = Temporary file space
> >    path = /tmp
> >    read only = no
> >    public = yes

> > [public]
> >    comment = Public Stuff
> >    path = /home/public
> >    public = yes
> >    writable = yes
> >    printable = no

> > ************************************** printcap
> > #
> > # This printcap is being created with printtool v.3.27
> > # Any changes made here manually will be lost if printtool
> > # is run later on.
> > # The presence of this header means that no printcap
> > # existed when printtool was run.
> > #
> > ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
> > lpt1:\
> >         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpt1:\
> >         :mx#0:\
> >         :sh:\
> >         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
> >         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpt1/filter:
> > ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
> > lpt2:\
> >         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpt2:\
> >         :mx#0:\
> >         :sh:\
> >         :lp=/dev/lp1:\
> >         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpt2/filter:
> > ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
> > lpt3:\
> >         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpt3:\
> >         :mx#0:\
> >         :sh:\
> >         :lp=/dev/lp2:\
> >         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpt3/filter:
> > ***********************************

> > Many thanks to anybody who would be so kind to help me.

Mielipiteet omiani - Opinions personal, facts suspect, especially on my
        http://www.germanynet.de/teilnehmer/101/69082/samba.html
Simple Samba Solutions web page.                            ICQ 1722461
|  Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/  |

1. Samba problems: Samba not in Network Neighborhood

I have (the latest) Samba installed and have two problems that I can't
seem to solve.

First, my setup: Machine 1 is linux/samba machine.  Machine 2 is Win
95 and Machine 3 is WfWG 3.11 with TCP/IP.  They connect with
ethernet.  All machines can ping each other and the other TCP stuff
works fine.

Machines 2 and 3 can mount each other's drives and printers fine.
Machine 2 can mount the Samba shares but only after I run the "Find
Computer" tool.  It doesn't appear in the Network Neighborhood with
the other machines.

I used smbclient to verify that Machine 1 can mount look at the shares
on all three machines and the Workgroup name is the same.

I was able to drag a shortcut into network neightborhood but that's
not the same as actually being there.

A possibly related problem is machine 3, the Win 3.11 one, cannot see
the samba shares at all.  The server doesn't appear.

Is there some Samba option that I don't have enabled?  With the Win 95
machine it's only annoying not having it in the Neighborhood but it is
entirely unusable from machine 3.  This I really need to fix.

BTW: One further problem I haven't looked at too closely: All the
mounted shares are done as "pcguest" and not as the username logged in
to win 95.  I have the same username/password on both machines.  Is
there a Win 95 option somewhere I need to change?

thanks, jv

    Graphics                "Purveyors to the Froup"

2. How do I find data on a partition ?

3. Samba- Problem: path too long/ cvs- Problem: cvs import stucks

4. Installing from non-Sun CD-ROM? (Solaris 2.1 Patch to support Toshiba CDROMs)

5. Very strange Samba problem - please advise

6. Canna Server?

7. samba problem - only root can write - TIA

8. compatibility of two C formats

9. samba problem

10. Samba Problem

11. Samba problem...