adsl-start times out - no dsl

Post by Dale Hampl » Fri, 30 May 2003 10:08:51

Last weekend, my niece was visiting.  I showed her how to check her
email on my linux box.  When she was done, she considerately turned the
machine off.  Now I can't get back to my dsl provider.  It took me a
while to get it going in the first place, and apparently I've forgotten
a step.

My home topography is that the linux box connects to the ISP with eth1,
and connects to my home network with eth0.  eth1 seems to be
functioning, since it gets its dhcp address from the ISP, and ifconfig
shows that it is up (it also shows the netmask as 255.255.252.0 - is it
important that the third triad isn't 255?).  But I can't get a
connection going.  NetMonitor won't connect (often not displaying ppp0
in the connections pane).  adsl-start times out.  net_cnx_up times out, too.

I've done these things:
1. Reinstalled the network in Mandrake Control Center (many times).
Though mcc is inconsistent about keeping the information, I'm fairly
confident I have the right settings for the ethernet cards.  It did work
before.  I don't need a gateway, do I?  (That's the only network option
in the expert mode, and I leave it blank.)
2. Uninstalled zcip, which is the zero-configuration software.  It's
caused me some problems before.
3. mcc insists on listing the ethernet cards as 'eth1 (using module
tulip)' and puts the parenthetical part into several files, notably
pppoe.conf.  adsl-start chokes when it hits the paren.  So I edited
pppoe.conf to delete the parenthetical expression.  mcc also creates a
file called 'ifup eth1 (using module tulip)' or something like that, and
I renamed that into oblivion.  The usual 'ifup eth1' config file is
still there and looks right.
4. I looked at the route table.  I'm not well informed about routing,
but it looked okay.  There was one entry for eth1, one for loopback, and
two for eth0 (the internal network card).
5. I can ping eth1 using its dhcp-provided address.  I can't ping
anything on the internet, obviously.
6. I confirmed that resolv.conf is still okay.
7. I reinstalled the network using linuxconf (many times).
8. I reinstalled the network using webmin.
9. I made sure that shorewall wasn't running, and ran iptables -F just
to make certain.  iptables -L doesn't seem to show any rules.  I'm not a
wizard at this, either, tho.
10. I ran dhcpclient.  The output looked okay, and, as I said, eth1 is
getting an appropriate IP address.

Obviously, I've forgotten something important, but am at my wits' end.
Can you make any suggestions?

Dale Hample

adsl-start times out - no dsl

Post by Horst Knobloc » Sat, 31 May 2003 00:22:58

[...]

Quote:> My home topography is that the linux box connects to the ISP with eth1,
> and connects to my home network with eth0.  eth1 seems to be
> functioning, since it gets its dhcp address from the ISP, and ifconfig
> shows that it is up (it also shows the netmask as 255.255.252.0 - is it
> important that the third triad isn't 255?).  But I can't get a
> connection going.  NetMonitor won't connect (often not displaying ppp0
> in the connections pane).  adsl-start times out.  net_cnx_up times out,
> too.

First check which protocol you need to use for "dial-in" to
your ISP. If your ISP requires you to use PPPoE then DHCP
is not necessary since all your IP data is given you via PPP.
In this case eth1 also does not need an IP address and netmask.

Thus, if you use PPPoE get rid of DHCP stuff for eth1 and
configure PPPoE properly. Check also whether your ISP's PPPoE
Access Concentrator is available via "pppoe -A". Insert correct
(ppp) user name and secret to /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and chap-secrets.

Ciao, Horst
--
?When pings go wrong (It hurts me too)? E.Clapton/E.James/P.Tscharn

1. RH9: I need to start ADSL-START as root for the first time after boot ....

Hi all,
I have this problem
After having booted my system running a Redhat 9, I need to start at least
once '/sbin/adsl-start' script as 'root' before calling it as normal user.
After connecting as root, I also may disconnect and run the program as
normal user and it successfully connect so far.

But if I try to connect as normal user the first time after boot, nothing
happens (modem seems not to respond).

During 'adsl-setup' configuration, obviously I answered yes at the question
"do you want to allow normal user to start or stop DSL connection?".

I thank in advance everyone for any suggestion.

G.

--
=== NO SPAM ALERT ===
If you desire to answer directly to me please post mail

2. mount iso files

3. SOLUTION: got adsl-start, dsl working with Mandrake 9.1

4. Why 6bpp not 8bpp???

5. How to set adsl-start as a start up script?

6. Setting up a serial laser printer

7. Adsl-start as start-up script

8. ncurses/forms...

9. RPC time outs at boot time

10. adsl-start and pppd

11. rp-pppoe and pump with adsl-start and firewall?

12. FC3 connect with adsl-start does not work, please HELP!

13. adsl-start not working