NIS - YPPasswd problems

Post by B.J.M. Boa » Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:00:00

  I'm trying to run yppasswd and its daemon (version 0.7, from ftp.funet.fi),
in conjunction with ypserv 0.11 and ypbind from the ypclients-2.0 release.
My NIS server is _not_ a client, as recommended.  YPPasswd correctly picks
up my password (in that it doesn't say 'Sorry', which it does correctly if I
enter an incorrrect password), asks me for a new one, asks me to retype the new
one, then just says 'Error...yppasswd has not updated your nis password'.

I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this
installation, and perhaps had the same difficulties.

1. NIS yppasswd problem

 I can not change password using both passwd and yppasswd command. The error
is as follows:

Changing NIS password for testusr
Old NIS password:
3004-604 Your entry does not match the old password.
yppasswd: 1831-155 could not change passwd

 This is strange, acccording to IBM docs yppasswd should first ask for both
old and new password, then send both to server - so I should be getting error
only after typing in new passwd. Besides I know I'm typing it in correctly.
What gives?  Any clues are greatly apreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. n

3. pmax install prob

4. ISDN and RedHat 5.2

5. Unix df source

6. NIS+, NIS and yppasswd

7. problems with NIS/NYS ypserv and yppasswd

8. NIS and yppasswd problems

9. 2 Problems with NIS and yppasswd

10. NIS Problem with yppasswd