NE2K Clones

NE2K Clones

Post by Nathan Pool » Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:00:00



Hi there,

I have a couple of NE2K clones sitting around, but have in my immense
stupidity lost the particular setup disks... This is fine for my linux box,
because it doesn't give a rat's (I.E. I would have had THREE old cards
w/out setup disks *grin*), but windows can't just find out IRQ for itself
etc, and I don't have a use for 3 cards in my linux box...

Is there a generic routine someone has written for most cards to get at
this? (It's 3am, setting up an NT server :-)   )

Cheers,

Nathan.

(Please remove #nospam# from my return address, reply by mail as well as to
group :-)    )

 
 
 

NE2K Clones

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:00:00



> Hi there,

> I have a couple of NE2K clones sitting around, but have in my immense
> stupidity lost the particular setup disks... This is fine for my linux box,
> because it doesn't give a rat's (I.E. I would have had THREE old cards
> w/out setup disks *grin*), but windows can't just find out IRQ for itself
> etc, and I don't have a use for 3 cards in my linux box...

> Is there a generic routine someone has written for most cards to get at
> this? (It's 3am, setting up an NT server :-)   )

'cat /proc/interrupts' and 'cat /proc/ioports' should tell you the
interrupt and io settings the card (and everything else on your system) is
set to.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net | PGP key available
paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
Woody: What's happening, Mr. Peterson?
Norm:  The question is, Woody, why is it happening to me?
                -- Cheers, Strange Bedfellows, Part 1

 
 
 

NE2K Clones

Post by Natha » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Hi there, you're right, that is what I asked *sorry*

What I meant was to be able to set the IRQ etc using this generic routine,
so that when using one of the cards under windows, I don't have to go
change everything else to suit the card's IRQ etc.

Thanks for the quick response,

Nathan.




> > Hi there,

> > I have a couple of NE2K clones sitting around, but have in my immense
> > stupidity lost the particular setup disks... This is fine for my linux
box,
> > because it doesn't give a rat's (I.E. I would have had THREE old cards
> > w/out setup disks *grin*), but windows can't just find out IRQ for
itself
> > etc, and I don't have a use for 3 cards in my linux box...

> > Is there a generic routine someone has written for most cards to get at
> > this? (It's 3am, setting up an NT server :-)   )

> 'cat /proc/interrupts' and 'cat /proc/ioports' should tell you the
> interrupt and io settings the card (and everything else on your system)
is
> set to.

> --
> Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net | PGP key
available
> paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public
servers
> Woody: What's happening, Mr. Peterson?
> Norm:  The question is, Woody, why is it happening to me?
>            -- Cheers, Strange Bedfellows, Part 1

 
 
 

NE2K Clones

Post by Tony Langd » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00


It's 18 Sep 97  15:06:36,

discussion of NE2K Clones

 #n> I have a couple of NE2K clones sitting around, but have in my immense
 #n> stupidity lost the particular setup disks... This is fine for my linux
 #n> box, because it doesn't give a rat's (I.E. I would have had THREE old
 #n> cards w/out setup disks *grin*), but windows can't just find out IRQ
 #n> for itself etc, and I don't have a use for 3 cards in my linux box...

 #n> Is there a generic routine someone has written for most cards to get
 #n> at this? (It's 3am, setting up an NT server :-)   )

Hmm, many of the clone cards use the same chips (RTL8009, RTL8019, etc).
If you have disks for other clones, try using them. :-)

... 2 B or not 2 B, that is the pencil....
--
|Fidonet:  Tony Langdon 3:632/367.2

|
| Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.

 
 
 

NE2K Clones

Post by Nathan Poo » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Did that, brought a mate's disks from his cards over... No luck.

?



>It's 18 Sep 97  15:06:36,

>discussion of NE2K Clones

> #n> I have a couple of NE2K clones sitting around, but have in my immense
> #n> stupidity lost the particular setup disks... This is fine for my linux
> #n> box, because it doesn't give a rat's (I.E. I would have had THREE old
> #n> cards w/out setup disks *grin*), but windows can't just find out IRQ
> #n> for itself etc, and I don't have a use for 3 cards in my linux box...

> #n> Is there a generic routine someone has written for most cards to get
> #n> at this? (It's 3am, setting up an NT server :-)   )

>Hmm, many of the clone cards use the same chips (RTL8009, RTL8019, etc).
>If you have disks for other clones, try using them. :-)

>... 2 B or not 2 B, that is the pencil....
>--
>|Fidonet:  Tony Langdon 3:632/367.2

>|
>| Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.

 
 
 

1. YDL-BIOS not enabling ne2k clone ethernet card

I have done a lot of research on this ethernet question. my card is a
MacAlly card with a RealTek 8029 chip -- a NE2000 clone, as I discovered
from D. Becker's ethernet driver site. I have used modprobe to load the
ne2k-pci module, using the i/o and irq settings I found in the /proc/pci
file. In fact, I have done this many times, and each time the eth0
interface fails to initialize at boot. The last time I tried this, the
dmesg file had the following text at the very end:

*******
cat uses obsolete /proc/pci interface
ne2k-pci.c: v.1.02 for Linux 2.2, 10/19/2000, D. Becker/P. Gortmaker,
http://www.scyld.com/network/ne2k-pci.html

The PCI BIOS has not enabled this NE2K clone! Updating PCI command
0000->0001.
ne2k-pci.c: PCI NE2000 clone 'Realtek RTL-8029 at I/O 0x400, IRQ23.
eth0: Realtek RTL-8029 found at 0x400, IRQ23, 00:00:1C:10:67:C4.\

*******

Could someone help me interpret what this means? If the card needs to be
enabled, how do I do that?

(The last time I checked  lsmod, the ne2k-pci module was not loaded. I
suppose this is because the card was not enabled at startup.)

Is there something else I need to do or check?

Thank you.

P.S. my computer specs are:
Model name: UMAX SuperMac C500
Processor info: PowerPC 603ev
Machine speed: 240 MHz
Built-in memory: 112 MB
Ethernet: 2 10BaseT PCI Ethernet Adapters

--Adrian Membrez

2. new user problems --PLEASE HELP

3. encore ne2k clone stoped working.

4. Windex is coming

5. NE2K clone setup - another problem

6. CyberPhone!

7. Looking for info on these PCI ne2k clones

8. network printer setup

9. PCI NE2K CLONE!!

10. kernel panic with my NE2K pci clone

11. Cloning LSM disks and using the clones on 5.1A

12. Made a clone of Linux server and that clone is very ill....

13. RedHat 6.2 multihomed ne2k-pci