wifi connection breaks!

Post by Paulo da Silv » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 00:48:45

Hi!

I use a script to launch/monitor my wireless connection.

The heart of the script is:

ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.22 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid MyESSID
wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

I periodically (1min) check the availability using a ping to the router
ip address.

Unfortunately the connection breaks (fails the ping) very frequently
especially when there are people circulating between the PCs and the
router. My PC is less than 2 meters far from the router!

Is there any way to improve the connection, for ex. using some iwconfig
parameters?
Any better way to monitor the connection than using ping?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

wifi connection breaks!

Post by Damo Get » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 17:49:25

Quote:> ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.22 up
> iwconfig wlan0 essid MyESSID
> wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
> route add default gw 192.168.1.1

> I periodically (1min) check the availability using a ping to the router
> ip address.

> Unfortunately the connection breaks (fails the ping) very frequently
> especially when there are people circulating between the PCs and the
> router. My PC is less than 2 meters far from the router!

I have a couple of options that I've used in my bit of time as a sysadmin
that may or may not be applicable to your situation.  First of all, what kind
of hardware is the router?  Make and model would be good.

Second, you may want to check out who else is using the same wireless channel
in your area.  If there are too many people on one channel you might want to
try switching to another one.  Here is a little bit of information that you
might want to look at if it turns out that there are too many people on your
frequency: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14250

Other than that the next thing that comes to mind from my experience would be
the structure that you're in.  Are you in a building with lots of wiring?  Is
it metal?

I know it's not what you were looking for, but maybe this will help a bit.  :)
If not, well, the more ya know...

wifi connection breaks!

Post by Snidel » Sun, 20 Feb 2011 05:15:19

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 07:48:45 -0800, Paulo da Silva

> Unfortunately the connection breaks (fails the ping) very frequently
> especially when there are people circulating between the PCs and the
> router. My PC is less than 2 meters far from the router!

You're suspecting bulk RF absorption properties of the human bodies is a
factor in losing the connection? (That might be related to another bulk
absorption property   ;-p )

Or are you saying "people circulating between the PCs and the router" as a
description of WiFi traffic?

/dps

wifi connection breaks!

Post by Snidel » Sun, 20 Feb 2011 05:30:27

as if a reply to a 6-week-old thread was going to be noticed by the OP.

/dps "ketching up is hard todo"

1. WiFi Connection Readings

I'm having a few problems with a Wireless CF card in my handheld computer.

The range is really low, I've tried various speeds and channels to no avail.

One of the handheld utilities shows the following data;

SNR 46
Signal -34
Noise -80

These are all taken right beside the access point.

What are they and I haven't a clue if they are good bad or expected.

I know my AP is OK as it gives an excellent signal on my daughter's laptop.

--
Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club

2. Is/Will Linux well support these?

3. How do I transfer data over wifi connection

4. Is serial port NFS possible?

5. Short Lived Wifi connection

6. Cisco VPN Client -> network hang or system lock

7. auto re-connection of a slip line if connection broken?

8. Securscan

9. wifi, dhclient and pdnsd, after connection reestablished dns server refuses

10. Periodically lose wifi connection using NetworkManager

11. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

12. 2.5: ieee1394 still broken, vesafb still broken, ipv6 still broken

13. Konquere - Broken connections