mgetty / AutoPPP Win95 dialin ok, linux dialin NG!

mgetty / AutoPPP Win95 dialin ok, linux dialin NG!

Post by F. Wissin » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I've got it set up such that 95 / NT clients can dial my Linux 2.0.29
server with no problem and get a ppp connection every time.  Linux
doesn't do as well.  In fact not at all.  I can dial in with minicom,
but with a PROVEN set of two scripts (that I used to write this posting)
I get no connection.  Mgetty sees my linux client as a standard dialin,
and doesn't fire off AutoPPP as defined in
/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config.

  It's such a mystery that win95 and NT work, and Linux can't do it.  My
NT nerds at work are really breaking my
chops bad, so any help to get this working will allow me to smush linux
in their faces but good.

I've tried several options and configs on the client and server end,
with no success.  If anyone is successfully accomplishing this between
two linux boxes, please privilege me with the config files, or if you're
a guru, privilege me with your advice.  FAQ / HOWTO served no help.  I
surfed for three days before I decided to waste everyones resources.

I really need help.

Tanx

freddy wissing

1. Help needed with Mgetty/AutoPPP dialin server ?

I'm looking to setup a  machine to act as a mailserver with a
permanent internet connection but also with a direct dialin.

I know a little about linux, basically from playing at home so i
thought I'd see what could be done with an old 486.

I've played with installing Suse 6.0 and was surprised how quickly and
easily I had a working mailserver - I chose a "network oriented"
install and basically it seemed to take care of everything, although I
suspect that security-wise the system was wide open  ?  When I created
a user in YAST I was able to use POP3 from mail clients elsewhere on
the network to send and receive mail as that user - from this I
assumed that mail was working on a very basic level.

The area that did cause me problems was trying to setup a dialin
server, from what I gather I need mgettyand autoppp and I need to
modify the default settings so that PPP starts automatically when
someone dials in ?

I've had a look at the various howtos, but they're quite generic, what
I need is basically SUSE specifc guidance :-)

Apologies if the above sounds vague - I have a lot to lean but in the
meantime any pointers would be useful.

Could replies be CC'd to mail, I only get news thru Deja at work and
I'd like to work on this tomorrow.

Thanks in advance
Paul
--

2. apache+ssl+egd

3. dialin AutoPPP not working under mgetty

4. RH7, Netscape and Shockwave Flash plugin problem.

5. Dialin + DNS + AutoPPP +win95 clients.

6. Can I install a solaris 8 in my IBM 600E notebook computer?

7. Setting up Mgetty to allow Win95 PPP dialin

8. Boot-up Meassage

9. dialin server question - AutoPPP

10. Secure dialin /AutoPPP/ figured out

11. RH5 dialin shell pauses & autoppp question

12. win to linux dialin, samba, ppp, mgetty?

13. Linux mgetty/pap dialin