LDAP replication from MS Exchange to Linux

LDAP replication from MS Exchange to Linux

Post by Pim Zandberg » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

How can I replicate data that from an MS Exchange Server
trough LDAP to a local Linux LDAP server ?

I have taken a look at slapd and slurpd, but they only allow
slapd-to-slapd replication.

I also need the replication to be initiated from our side, the
slave side, as I cannot control the Exchange Server.

The amount of data on the Exchange Server is fairly small, so it would
not be a problem to download the complete database say every night.

--

S-mail : Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70, 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands
Phone  : +31 70 3067373

LDAP replication from MS Exchange to Linux

Post by Wesley Peace [MVP » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

There is currently no mechanism to do this out of the box.

You will have to determine what data you want to export to Linux LDAP server
and then use ADSI to extra it. Once extracted you can use whatever
application you like on the Linux side to read the data in.

Once you understand what you have to do, I'm sure you can automate this in
some way.

Microsoft BackOffice/Exchange MVP

A closed mind is like a closed book: just a block of wood. -Chinese
Proverb

Post by Konstantinos Agour » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>How can I replicate data that from an MS Exchange Server
>trough LDAP to a local Linux LDAP server ?
>I have taken a look at slapd and slurpd, but they only allow
>slapd-to-slapd replication.
>I also need the replication to be initiated from our side, the
>slave side, as I cannot control the Exchange Server.
>The amount of data on the Exchange Server is fairly small, so it would
>not be a problem to download the complete database say every night.

I think that's what you have to do. I am thinking about writing a generic
Replication-tool where you have one Master one slave and then download
from the master and compare vs the slave data and make the appropriate changes.
It's not online but it should do, what I want.

Konstantin
--

Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185
"Captain, this ship will not sustain the forming of the cosmos." B'Elana Torres

1. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

Dear all,

I wonder if someone could offer some advice?

Let take a second to explain the network topology we have here - briefly:

Single subnet LAN - comprising NT network with the odd bit of Novell kit.

Our comms machine runs MS Exchange 5.5 and Proxy 2.0 (it also has RRAS for
VPNs but this doesn't work because of the router listed below).

This comms machine is multihomed (I believe this is the term for 2 network
cards) The internal network as above and the external network connects to a
CISCO 760 series ISDN router. This machine is the BDC - the seperate PDC is
also the internal DNS server.

Currently, all internet access works fine via the router. This is using port
address translation to hide all internal IP addresses and present as one.
Exchange happily fires off through the link too - and when connected - our
SMTP feed pushes into the Exchange server. We have 'firewalling' set up on
the router and with MS Proxy.

There are two issues I want to raise.....

1. One problem we have is that MS Exchange brings up the ISDN link every
time an externally destined email is sent - and I don't believe it is
possible to get Exchange to hold the outbound mail and fire it off at
predetermined intervals. This is costing us a fortune.....  We send large
amounts of externally bound email - all quite small - but with the ISDN line
being brought up very often, you can guess what the bill is like (5-10 sends
per hour). When we used modems, this could be achieved because Exchange used
RAS connections which could be limited to 'batch' dial-outs. This no longer
is true for the router setup.

2. We have an ISDN modem which I daresay we could use instead of the router
to give us limited dial-out but then we become reliant upon MS Proxy
firewalling as we loose the router. Is MS Proxy secure enough? (Seriously
please Linux boys and girls :-) )  And will Linux provide the internal IP
address 'hiding' - presenting one address to the outside world? Should we
drop a linux box in between the MS-Proxy/Exchange and the ISDN? Is this hard
to administer/setup as a dedicated firewall.

We want to set up a system with http. ftp etc initialed dialout (MS Proxy)
but not by email (MS Exchange) which we can fire off every couple of hours
or so (We have a batch file which can do this in reverse in order to recieve
our mail).

We need it to be secure (!) or should I say as secure as possible... and it
would be cool if we could get VPN too (MS RRAS flavor) via the ISDN modem as
the router will not handle the encapsulation properly.

Oh and finally, the funds available are very limited, so a big
UNIX/commercial solution is probably prohibitively costly.

All ideas welcome.

Ta everyone

2. what is parent shell, child shell and subshell, ?

3. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

4. ESS 688 16-bit audio chip in notebook, howto use?

5. LDAP selective replication ?

6. Linux as webserver

7. MS Exchange and Linux

8. How to view PS file on full screen?

9. Linux <-> MS-Exchange Coexistence

10. Linux and MS Exchange Server

11. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux

12. Something like MS-Exchange for Linux?

13. MS Exchange and Linux