Fritz DSL, DHCP/DNS problem, DNS does not show the hostname

Fritz DSL, DHCP/DNS problem, DNS does not show the hostname

Post by Matte » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 20:37:43

Hi there,

I try to convience my Fritz DSL Router to serve as a DHCP/DNS server.
My problem is by booting windows (I apologize for this) I can do a
nslookup and get the name of the host. Do I boot Linux on the same box
I can't do this. When I check with the Fritz Web interface I can see
that my IP and MAC is recognized but the name is "noname".

Then I changed the /etc/dhclient.conf and included the name and MAC.
# cat /etc/dhclient.conf
send host-name "pimboli";
send dhcp-client-identifier 00:04:76:48:57:05;

Now I can see the hostname with nslookup within Linux and with the
Fritz Web interface.

Next time I boot the unspoken M$ pseudo OS I don't get an IP anymore. I
have to reset the DSL box to factory defaults and then M$ is getting an
IP.

Next boot, Linux! Same thing but other OS. I don't get an IP. Then I
remove the entries from /etc/dhclient.conf and boot. All is fine except
nslookup doesn't show the IP and hostname.

It looks like DHCP is saving more then the MAC address. Under both OS
hostname, MAC and the IP I get from DHCP is the same. The domainame is
not set.

What is wrong? Any ideas? Anybody with the same expirience?

Hardware/Software:
- FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050, Firmware-Version 14.04.01
- Laptop Dell Latitude C500, Kanotix 2005-04

Regards
Matthias

Post by Dirk Jakobsmeie » Thu, 09 Mar 2006 03:47:07

> Hi there,

> I try to convience my Fritz DSL Router to serve as a DHCP/DNS server.
> My problem is by booting windows (I apologize for this) I can do a
> nslookup and get the name of the host. Do I boot Linux on the same box
> I can't do this. When I check with the Fritz Web interface I can see
> that my IP and MAC is recognized but the name is "noname".

> Then I changed the /etc/dhclient.conf and included the name and MAC.
> # cat /etc/dhclient.conf
> send host-name "pimboli";
> send dhcp-client-identifier 00:04:76:48:57:05;

Hello Mattes,

is the following possible? Your linux box is lending out an ip adress from
the dhcp server. This ip adress has got a lease time of e.g. 30 minutes.
Now you boot your windows machine an the same mac adress
(00:04:76:48:57:05) wants an ip adress with another hostname.

Can you set the leasetime to a smaller value and test if this works better
(after shutdown waiting until leasetime is over)?

Short leasetime means more traffic because of more dhcp requests.

Regards
--

Fritz DSL, DHCP/DNS problem, DNS does not show the hostname

Post by Matte » Thu, 09 Mar 2006 07:33:25

Hi Dirk,

I have tried your suggestion. The hostnames were already the same on
Linux and Windows. In Linux I set the lease time to 60s but without any
change in the result. On windows the lease time is around 10days. I
couldn't find the Registry Key to change this.

Or do you want me to use different hostnames?

Regards
Matthias

Post by Jan Hugo Prin » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:33:11

> Hi Dirk,

> I have tried your suggestion. The hostnames were already the same on Linux
> and Windows. In Linux I set the lease time to 60s but without any change
> in the result. On windows the lease time is around 10days. I couldn't find
> the Registry Key to change this.

The lease time is not a client setting but a server setting, so you can't
set it on either the Linux or the Windows box, you have to do it in the
7050. Set a short lease time there and see what happens.

What happens when you do a dhcp release before booting to the other OS?
Does that change any of the behaviour that you see?

 Jan Hugo

Fritz DSL, DHCP/DNS problem, DNS does not show the hostname

Post by Matte » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:59:28

Hi Jan Hugo,

I thing I own you a beer. You put me on the right track.

It looks like the DHCP release is not completly working under Windows
or on the Fritz Router. On my Linux I see that at shutdown the DHCP
lease is released. On M$ I can't verify that. But if I do on M$ a
ipconfig /release I can boot Linux without a problem. So I would guess
Windows is not doing a DHCP release. But on the other hand I would
expect that the Fritz has to release a lease automaticaly because i.e.
the server could have crashed before!

So I'm not 100% sure who to blame! ;-)

I found a work around for this by creating a little script which
removes the dhcp-client-identifier from the configuration file, request
an IP, release it and request it again with dhcp-client-identifier.
Then I get an IP plus it is in the DNS of the Fritz.

Thanks for putting me on the right track.
Matthias

1. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

I've got a solaris 9 04/04 box set up with the bundled DNS and DHCP servers but I can't seem to get windows XP clients to dynamicaly register their names in DNS. DHCP seems to work just fine.

I've followed the rather simple doco at http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-5529/6jehkcs59?a=view however it still does not work.
This doco covers adding the allow-update directive to the named.conf file, which I've done for local and loop back IPs and then ticking the "Update DNS host information upon client request" check box in DHCP configuration.

When I configure a DHCP domain from scratch and it comes to the section on where to store host names, I choose DNS, I get a popup that says "Unable to manage defined hosts table". I've gone back to "none" then later ticked Edit -> Modify: "Update DNS host information upon client request"....still no updates.

There is nothing loged in the DHCP logs relevant to dns problems.

My named.conf file is:
bash-2.05# cat /etc/named.conf
options {
        directory "/etc/named";
        pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
        forwarders {
                <dns 1>;
                <dns 2>;
                <dns 3>;
                };
        forward first;
        };

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/named/db.cache";
        };

zone "pjama.loc" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/named/<my domain>.hosts";
        allow-update {
                127.0.0.1;
                192.168.200.1;
                192.168.200.11;
                };
        };

zone "200.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        allow-update {
                127.0.0.1;
                192.168.200.1;
                192.168.200.11;
                };
        file "/etc/named/192.168.200.rev";
        };

logging {
        category default {
                default_syslog;
                default_debug;
                default_stderr;
                };
        };
bash-2.05

Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers
Peter Arnold

2. LSM search engine

3. Mail and hostname question

4. DNS problem: hostnames don't get resolved on DNS server itself

5. Buggy XwcLookupString

6. DHCP, hostname and DNS problem

7. - Very convincing article for Linux -

8. DHCP, DNS/Dynamic DNS???

9. DNS Problem. WIN98 does not find DNS Server...

10. DHCP, DNS, WINS, dynamic DNS, other questions

11. Can I use hostnames with only DHCP, no DNS?

12. Hostname to DNS via DHCP?