How to do automatic group membership?

Post by Bill Delphenic » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I am running a SAMBA file server on Mandrake v7.0. I want my users to be
able to create and edit files in a public directory on the server. I am
using the group "users" to do this.

How can I get each new user I create to automatically be a member of the
group "users"? Right now I have go in and manually edit the "group"
file, but I'm sure there is a slicker way to get this done.

Any help is appreciated.

Bill

How to do automatic group membership?

Post by Terry Mulvan » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Bill,
Every user has exactly one primary group and can have one or more secondary
groups. How this primary group is determined can differ depending on the
distribution.  Red Hat for instance always puts a new user in a group with
the same name as the user account.  But this can be overridden when creating
the user account.
When using useradd, simply use the -g <group> option, where <group> is the
primary group you wish the new user to have (be sure the 'g' is lower case,
upper G adds user to secondary groups) .
If you are in X WIndows, you can use Linuxconf to do the same thing
graphically.

www.doctortux.com

Quote:> I am running a SAMBA file server on Mandrake v7.0. I want my users to be
> able to create and edit files in a public directory on the server. I am
> using the group "users" to do this.

> How can I get each new user I create to automatically be a member of the
> group "users"? Right now I have go in and manually edit the "group"
> file, but I'm sure there is a slicker way to get this done.

> Any help is appreciated.

> Bill

1. Group membership for a group

Hello,

my question is: Is there any possibility for a group do be a Part of
an other group?

For example:
The group "Chiefs" should be part of the group "Employees".

Is this possible or have I add the username of the group chiefs to the
group employees????

Thx.
Marty

2. libcurses init_keytry.h?

3. Group membership problem

4. Pak Govt may choose Linux over Windows

5. More than 32 group membership problem

6. LessTif Problem

7. group memberships

8. Remote Printing

9. Membership of group

10. file permissions & group membership when uploading files via FTP

11. Problem with multi-group membership? SOLVED

12. Group Membership

13. add a group membership to all users