Intrusion Detection Systems Management Console

Intrusion Detection Systems Management Console

Post by Michael W. Cock » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:41:05

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:09:31 +0100, Natanael Mignon

>Dear newsgroup,

>we are students of Computer Sciences at the University of Applied
>Sciences Hannover (Germany). During a project over two terms we are
>developing a managementconsole for Intrusion Detection Systems (project
>name ?SNAC - Security Network Analysis Console). As a part of the
>development process we want to analyse the expectations of experienced
>administrators and IT-Security-Managers towards such a managementconsole
>for host and network based Intrusion Detection Systems.

[snipped for bandwidth]

So, your teacher read the article in Linux Magazine a month or so ago
too? (I can't lay my hands on the issue right now, but it wasn't more
than 3 months back, might have been Linux Format) about building a
network control & monitoring system with ACiD and some other goodies?

I got all e*d when I read the article too, but only because I'm a
gadget freak.  Upon sober consideration, I decided that it would be
cool but not incredibly useful...

Mike-

Mornings:  Evolution in action.  Only the grumpy will survive.

Post by Natanael Migno » Fri, 16 Jan 2004 05:13:45

> So, your teacher read the article in Linux Magazine a month or so ago
> too? (I can't lay my hands on the issue right now, but it wasn't more
> than 3 months back, might have been Linux Format) about building a
> network control & monitoring system with ACiD and some other goodies?

Mh, I don't think so. The project topic was presented in September 2003
and there was nothing like ACiD mentioned until now. We are going to
build a whole new system from the base, developing agents, logic and
user interface(s) on our own (probably using the common study topics
like Java, C(++) and all the fancy things we are learning about software
engineering ;) ).

Quote:> I got all e*d when I read the article too, but only because I'm a
> gadget freak.  Upon sober consideration, I decided that it would be
> cool but not incredibly useful...

Well, 'cool' doesn't say enough. For my part, I am kind of a gadget
freak as well and I am going to keep the project alive on
sourceforge.net after the official part at University will have ended
(it is already registered there under the name "SNAC"). We will see, if
we can come up with something interesting. I really hope so!

Regards,
--
  - Nat

www.bleeding.de | www.metal-germany.de

  -= Bleeding for Metal | c/o Madhouse Of Cain =-
  -= P.O. Box 39 23 | 30039 Hannover | Germany =-

1. Intrusion Detection Systems: An Introduction

Hi all,

LinuxSecurity has a new story on getting started with intrusion
detection.

"Intrusion Detection is the process and methodology of inspecting data
for malicious, inaccurate or anomalous activity. At the most basic
levels there are two forms of Intrusion Detection Systems that you
will encounter: Host and Network based."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-143.html

2. Which PCMCIA CD-ROM?

3. SPECTER Intrusion Detection System

4. How to turn off mail delivery notification...

5. help tuning kernel parameters in 3.1 Release

6. new Project : Intrusion Detection System

7. net device to fail-over between wan interfaces?

8. New network intrusion detection system for Linux (GPL)

9. new Project : Intrusion Detection System

10. Intrusion Detection System.

11. System intrusion detection, primarily on linux servers with a handful of others

12. NYC LOCAL: Thursday 15 November 2001 UNIGROUP: James Licata on Intrusion Detection Systems