Assigning a network card two ip addresses...

Assigning a network card two ip addresses...

Post by Tim Koopma » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,
How do you assign two ip addresses to a network card under redhat 6.1?
I would prefer the way not using X linuxconfig please as the machine does
not have X on it.

Thanks

Assigning a network card two ip addresses...

Post by TARog » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

 scribbled something about Assigning a network card two ip addresses...:
Quote:>Hi all,
>How do you assign two ip addresses to a network card under redhat 6.1?
>I would prefer the way not using X linuxconfig please as the machine does
>not have X on it.

ifconfig eth0
ifconfig eth0:0

tho what is do is create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
DEVICE=eth0:0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
ONBOOT=yes

then restart networking

--
TARogue (t o m (at) t a r o g u e . n e t)
  plug #1 - http://www.tarogue.net/

Assigning a network card two ip addresses...

Post by Alai » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I would prefer the way not using X linuxconfig please as the machine does
>not have X on it.

linuxconf also works in textmode

Assigning a network card two ip addresses...

Post by Martin Schippe » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I dont know how "buggy" Mandrake 6.1 is, but with Mandrake 7.0 I expirienced
the most strange thing when trying to install ip-aliasing.
When I used "linuxconf", it created the "ifcfg-eth0:0" files, but it didn't
include the "DEVICE = ETH0:0" line.
So when I tried to "restart the networking" it gave me only errors.
After adding the line, it still didnt seem to work (but it is neccesary).
In one of the script files (/etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifup-aliases)
I found a line (13th line) where they load the "ifcfg-eth0:0" files, but
they forgot "ifcfg-" so it looked like: "eth0:0".

Change:

if [ ! -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/$device:$current ]; then

if [ ! -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-$device:$current ]; then

Maybe I did something wrong, maybe im stupid :)) but maybe it may-be of help
:)

Martin Schipper
The Netherland

Assigning a network card two ip addresses...

Post by George Csahani » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

But you need this ability compiled into the kernel...

-g

>  scribbled something about Assigning a network card two ip addresses...:
> >Hi all,
> >How do you assign two ip addresses to a network card under redhat 6.1?
> >I would prefer the way not using X linuxconfig please as the machine does
> >not have X on it.

> ifconfig eth0
> ifconfig eth0:0

> tho what is do is create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
> DEVICE=eth0:0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
> IPADDR=192.168.0.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.0.0
> ONBOOT=yes

> then restart networking

> --
> TARogue (t o m (at) t a r o g u e . n e t)
>   plug #1 - http://www.tarogue.net/
>   plug #2 - http://www.tarogue.net/goth.html
>   plug #3 - http://www.tarogue.net/n.g.resource.html
>     Check 'em all out!

Assigning a network card two ip addresses...

Post by Robichaud, Jean-Philippe [BAN:6S33:EXCH » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

do netconf, there is an option to specify alias IP for a card...

--
        Jean-Philippe Robichaud

        (514) 818-7750
        (ESN) 888-7750
        St-Laurent, Quebec, Canada

Assigning a network card two ip addresses...

Post by George Csahani » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Remember that needs to be compiled into the kernel to work...

-G

> do netconf, there is an option to specify alias IP for a card...

> > Hi all,
> > How do you assign two ip addresses to a network card under redhat 6.1?
> > I would prefer the way not using X linuxconfig please as the machine
does
> > not have X on it.

> > Thanks

> --
> Jean-Philippe Robichaud

> (514) 818-7750
> (ESN) 888-7750
> St-Laurent, Quebec, Canada

Assigning a network card two ip addresses...

Post by tony... » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

What's the reason to have 2 ipaddress in one card.  I thought you
needed to have 2 network cards to do IP mascerading, or firewalling.
That's what I would like to do, so if you can just put 2 address in
one network card and be able to do that, please let me know.  Thanks
>Remember that needs to be compiled into the kernel to work...

>-G

>> do netconf, there is an option to specify alias IP for a card...

>> > Hi all,
>> > How do you assign two ip addresses to a network card under redhat 6.1?
>> > I would prefer the way not using X linuxconfig please as the machine
>does
>> > not have X on it.

>> > Thanks

>> --
>> Jean-Philippe Robichaud

>> (514) 818-7750
>> (ESN) 888-7750
>> St-Laurent, Quebec, Canada

Assigning a network card two ip addresses...

Post by Jan Johansso » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>What's the reason to have 2 ipaddress in one card.  I thought you
>needed to have 2 network cards to do IP mascerading, or firewalling.
>That's what I would like to do, so if you can just put 2 address in
>one network card and be able to do that, please let me know.  Thanks

You can do that, but it leaves a lot of security holes / broadcast
problems / etc / etc /etc

Post by Gerald Waug » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> >What's the reason to have 2 ipaddress in one card.  I thought you
> >needed to have 2 network cards to do IP mascerading, or firewalling.
> >That's what I would like to do, so if you can just put 2 address in
> >one network card and be able to do that, please let me know.  Thanks

> You can do that, but it leaves a lot of security holes / broadcast
> problems / etc / etc /etc

Don't do that, The idea is to isolate and filter one network from the other
network.

1. Assigning a second IP address to am Ethernet card???

I am setting up a Satellite link which joins into a class 'c' subnet. The
situation is that I have two subnets on the same physical network. I need a
FreeBSD server to serve requests on both subnets.

Does anyone have any experience or advice in how to do this properly?

I have tried a variety of methods with mixed success.

Any help is very much welcomed.

Regards,
Russ Eden.

2. Detecting terminal idle time

3. Can you assign 2 IP addresses to 1 network card

4. Crash Course in Programming w/ Shared Memory

5. Two Network Cards - One IP Address?

6. iptables problems

7. Two IP addresses and one network card

8. Running program under root ID

9. How Do I Assign two IP Addresses to One NIC

10. Two IP addresses assigned to same interface.

11. how can i config two IP address on one network card?

12. problem assigning ip address to second nic

13. How can you assign two ip address to one interface