PPP spawns multiple ip-up processes

Post by Brian Showalt » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Since upgrading to Red Hat 4.1 a couple of weeks ago, I've been having a
strange problem with pppd.  From time to time it spawns two copies of the
ip-up program, other times only one.  Then yesterday I came home and did a
ps -ax, which showed a BUNCH of ip-up processes!  I've looked all over my
startppp script, the chat files and the ip-up script (which is a Perl
script), and everything is in order.

--------------------
Brian R. Showalter

Post by Vincent Zweij » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

||  Since upgrading to Red Hat 4.1 a couple of weeks ago, I've been having a
||  strange problem with pppd.  From time to time it spawns two copies of the
||  ip-up program, other times only one.  Then yesterday I came home and did a
||  ps -ax, which showed a BUNCH of ip-up processes!  I've looked all over my
||  startppp script, the chat files and the ip-up script (which is a Perl
||  script), and everything is in order.
||  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Yes, quite some time ago already.

Is this diald-0.14?

That contains a bug that will make it fail to detect an existing ppp
connection. This will make it bring up the connection again. That's why
it spawns extra ip-ups.

Upgrade to diald-0.16 if I'm right.                            Vincent.
--

"Xhost should be taken out and shot."            Vincent Zweije

PPP spawns multiple ip-up processes

Post by Brian Showalt » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>||  Since upgrading to Red Hat 4.1 a couple of weeks ago, I've been having a
>||  strange problem with pppd.  From time to time it spawns two copies of the
>||  ip-up program, other times only one.  Then yesterday I came home and did a
>||  ps -ax, which showed a BUNCH of ip-up processes!  I've looked all over my
>||  startppp script, the chat files and the ip-up script (which is a Perl
>||  script), and everything is in order.
>||  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

>Yes, quite some time ago already.

>Is this diald-0.14?

>That contains a bug that will make it fail to detect an existing ppp
>connection. This will make it bring up the connection again. That's why
>it spawns extra ip-ups.

No, no diald at all.  Just plain PPP, from the latest pppd-2.2.0f-3 RPM off
of RedHat's FTP site.

For now, I've put a sort of semaphore into the ip-up file.  The first copy
creates a flag file on startup, then deletes it when it's done.  Subsequent
copies terminate immediately if the file exists.  I plan to do some more
tinkering with it to try and figure out why this problem happens.

--------------------
Brian R. Showalter

1. Spawning multiple concurrent processes

    Pardon the ignorance of this question, but I'm trying to come up with a
way to simulate multiple concurrent users trying to access an component that
I'm testing.  I have a C++ class that serves as a unit test for the real
component, but simply wrapping the test code in a loop isn't good enough...
I need to simulate concurrent access attempts rather than serial attempts.

    What I'm thinking about doing is writing a small shell script that
spawns my unit test program multiple times in multiple separate processes,
to come closer to simulating concurrent access.  I'm certain that this can
be done, I'm just a little fuzzy on how to do it.  Can anyone tell me how to
spawn a program multiple times simultaneously as background processes?

2. QUOTAS

3. multiple amd process spawned and hang the RedHat Box

4. slirp + 128 async

5. lpd spawning multiple child processes

6. Help Help Help

7. multiple amd process spawned and hang the RedHat Box

8. Mitsumi LUOOO5 (whatever)

9. spawned processes and process interdependencies

10. Excessive # of process running ip-up.local on ppp

11. pppd: /etc/ppp/ip-up /etc/ppp/ip-down: Exec format error

12. getty+ppp : doesn't spawn ppp :-(