connecting to another pc via parallel/serial cables

connecting to another pc via parallel/serial cables

Post by Toy Keepe » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello...

Is there some way to transfer files between two linux computers using a
parallel or serial cable?  I'm trying to transfer ~1GB of data from a
notebook pc to my main linux pc.  The notebook has no network card, no
scsi, and a non-removable hard drive...

Please reply to my email address; I may not see replies in the
newsgroup.  :)

_  _ _  _ ___ ___  -----------"Use the source, Luke!"---------
( \/ ( \/ (__ (__ ) | ~  Scott Scriven (Toy Keeper / XYZZ)    |

(_/\_(_/  (___(___) | http://www.vis.colostate.edu/~scriven/  |

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: Hello...

: Is there some way to transfer files between two linux computers using a
: parallel or serial cable?  I'm trying to transfer ~1GB of data from a
: notebook pc to my main linux pc.  The notebook has no network card, no
: scsi, and a non-removable hard drive...

If I were you I'd start reading PLIP-HOWTO. To transfer 1Gb between the two
would take hours and hours anyway. You can have transfer rate about 20 kb/s
with plip, all other than real ethernet are even slower than that.

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Marjatankatu 12,     33730 Tampere,  FINLAND.
****  http://oh3tr.ele.tut.fi/~oh3fg/ ****  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC  ****

connecting to another pc via parallel/serial cables

Post by Radovan Bra » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there some way to transfer files between two linux computers using a
>parallel or serial cable?  I'm trying to transfer ~1GB of data from a
>notebook pc to my main linux pc.  The notebook has no network card, no
>scsi, and a non-removable hard drive...

   You can use either SLIP on serial-to-serial connection (you must
   have a null-modem cable), or PLIP on parallel ports (never done
   that one). The program for SLIP is slattach if I remember correctly.
   You may even use PPP (program pppd), but I think there are no
   advantages in this case.

      RB

>Please reply to my email address; I may not see replies in the
>newsgroup.  :)
>( \/ ( \/ (__ (__ ) | ~  Scott Scriven (Toy Keeper / XYZZ)    |

>(_/\_(_/  (___(___) | http://www.vis.colostate.edu/~scriven/  |

connecting to another pc via parallel/serial cables

Post by brian colema » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

uucp is designed to use serial lines for this process and far outperforms any
?IP protocol for this job.

Brian Coleman