wireless connection

Post by 66oldgi » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 00:00:05

hi, got a desktop  which runs on XP or ubuntu. .11.04 cant find the
card. is there app to make it 'see' the card so hopefully i can get it
to work?  in another room i can plug in by cable to my thomson router
and its auto. cant find this option forthe wireless card. thanx for
any help. Don

wireless connection

Post by Bob Tennen » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 00:42:59

 > hi, got a desktop  which runs on XP or ubuntu. .11.04 cant find the
 > card. is there app to make it 'see' the card so hopefully i can get it
 > to work?  in another room i can plug in by cable to my thomson router
 > and its auto. cant find this option forthe wireless card. thanx for
 > any help. Don

Look in the system log

/var/log/messages

You can also look for information on the card at

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices

There's no "app" that can help if the kernel doesn't recognize the
hardware.

Bob T.

wireless connection

Post by unru » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 03:57:14

Quote:> hi, got a desktop  which runs on XP or ubuntu. .11.04 cant find the

Perhaps you could tell us which "card" it is. I presume you are hinting
that it is a wireless card. Which one?
Quote:> card. is there app to make it 'see' the card so hopefully i can get it
> to work?  in another room i can plug in by cable to my thomson router
> and its auto. cant find this option forthe wireless card. thanx for
> any help. Don

wireless connection

Post by 66oldgi » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 04:17:39

> > hi, got a desktop ?which runs on XP or ubuntu. .11.04 cant find the

> Perhaps you could tell us which "card" it is. I presume you are hinting
> that it is a wireless card. Which one?

> it says WLAN 802.11g Cardbus  (chinese generic?) obviously it works well with XP , and i  am thicker than ----- so it may be simpler to swap machines/rooms, until i learn. was told to set up client as infrastructure enter ssid's and passphrase so will have a go Thanx for your interest. Don

> > card. is there app to make it 'see' the card so hopefully i can get it
> > to work? ?in another room i can plug in by cable to my thomson router
> > and its auto. cant find this option forthe wireless card. thanx for
> > any help. Don

1. Linux wireless connection problem

Hi all,
using gentoo with ndiswrapper 1.18, a broadcom 4309 chipset, with the latest
*.inf file drivers, and kernel 2.6.17, wireless ext v20, all on a dell laptop.

When I upgraded kernels to 2.6.17 and recompiled everything so ndiswrapper
modules would run I've been having a problem with the "iwconfig" command.
Ndiswrapper is set up correctly with the right driver, and I can scan for ESSIDs
with iwconfig wlan0 scan but when I use "iwconfig wlan0 essid <name>" the card
does not associate with the AP; "iwconfig wlan0" displays ESSID: on/any.

Adding "ifconfig wlan0 up" and and iwconfig wlan0 commit" does nothing.  It's as
if the card is not "getting" or accepting the changes I pass to it.

This whole thing was working with kernel 2.6.12 and an older wireless ext and
ndiswrapper version 1.5; but I don't think the kernel or ndiswrapper version
upgrades had anything to do with it.  I have an external pc card with madwifi
drivers for this laptop and it works fine with the upgrades.  What can I do to
get this internal card to accept changes with the iwconfig command?

2. Sun Microsystems/Cisco

3. Wireless Connection Seen But Not Connected

4. kde-redhat install kde3.1 onto rh8.0

5. Wireless connection between router and bridge is dropping packets in spurts

6. Xconfig

7. Configuring Wireless Connection in Redhat 7.3

8. Postgres95 on FreeBSD

9. wireless connection between a Toshiba Portege 4010 and a Linksys WRT54G not working

10. wireless connection (?)

11. dhclient problems w/ wireless connection

12. wireless connection to the net

13. Adding wireless connection to a network.