Masquerading and Incoming Connections

Post by Derek J. Middlet » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am currently running Linux 1.3.68 (yes, an old version, but it works
and I rarely use the server) using the masquerade option to allow my
and my roommates machine to use my dial-up connection at the same
time.  It works great for any outgoing connections, or connections I
establish myself.

I was wondering if it was possible to configure the firewalling and
masquerading options so that any incoming connections (e.g. FTP) could
be automatically routed to another machine on my network.  For
example, i would disable the FTP server on my linux box and run an FTP
server on my Win95 box.  When anyone from outside my network attempted
to ftp to my internet address, they would automatically be re-routed
to my Win95 machine through the masqueraded connection.

I will post a summary message on what I modified to this newsgroup
when (if) I get everything working.

-Derek

Post by John B. (Bre » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I am currently running Linux 1.3.68 (yes, an old version, but it works
>and I rarely use the server) using the masquerade option to allow my
>and my roommates machine to use my dial-up connection at the same
>time.  It works great for any outgoing connections, or connections I
>establish myself.

>I was wondering if it was possible to configure the firewalling and
>masquerading options so that any incoming connections (e.g. FTP) could
>be automatically routed to another machine on my network.  For
>example, i would disable the FTP server on my linux box and run an FTP
>server on my Win95 box.  When anyone from outside my network attempted
>to ftp to my internet address, they would automatically be re-routed
>to my Win95 machine through the masqueraded connection.

>I will post a summary message on what I modified to this newsgroup
>when (if) I get everything working.

>-Derek

After some experimentation, I found that there were errors in my syntax in
a previous reply to your post.

Should go something like this:

Linux IP   x.x.x.1
Windows 95 x.x.x.2

Example #1

ipfwadm -F -a acc -P tcp -S 0.0.0.0/0 21 -D x.x.x.2/32 21
ipfwadm -F -a acc -P udp -S 0.0.0.0/0 21 -D x.x.x.2/32 21

--- OR ---

Example #2

Where yyyy >= 1000 (decimal) ( choose one not already defined in /etc/services )

ipfwadm -F -a acc -P tcp -S 0.0.0.0/0 yyyy -D x.x.x.2/32 21
ipfwadm -F -a acc -P udp -S 0.0.0.0/0 yyyy -D x.x.x.2/32 21
ipfwadm -F -a acc -P tcp -S 0.0.0.0/0 21 -D x.x.x.1/32 21
ipfwadm -F -a acc -P udp -S 0.0.0.0/0 21 -D x.x.x.1/32 21

The firest example will only allow ftp requests on the normal ftp port of
21, that are then redirected to the Win 95 box.

The second example would allow you to receive ftp's from the net on both
the Linux box and the Win 95 box.  The only thing different is what
tcp/udp port is requested by the client.

Hope this helps,

John B. (Brent) Williams

1. Finger's Idle time on incoming PPP connections - what's the connection?

Does anyone know what controls the Idle time displayed by finger on
incoming ppp connections?

I can't figure it out. Sometimes I see data being sent & received
through my modems, but finger shows the users as idle. At other times
(I think), finger says they're not idle but there's no data going back
and forward.

I have 2.0.27 and PPP 2.2.0f (or whatever the most recent version is).

2. Problems with X

3. xhost / X server Connection Via IP Masqueraded connection

4. Announce: RSBAC v1.1.2 released

5. incoming services using masquerade

6. Linux carries the day yet again

7. Masquerade for incoming mail ???

8. Apache/PHP/MySQL on Redhat 7.2 ????

9. masquerading incoming http requests?

10. distributing incoming http request using ip masquerading

11. Masquerading incoming Telnet through my firewall

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. incoming network connection...sometimes