Old ISA ethernet card - Recomendations?

Post by Arcady Genki » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi all!

Can you guys recomend what used ISA networking card should I buy?

I am going to network 2 computers. The other one already is a PCI
full-duplex 100Base-TX/10Base-T with Reltek 8139 chip (ne2000 for PCI).
Should it influence my decision as to what to buy? I have heard that ne2000
clones are poor performers.

What transmission speeds do you suppose I will be able to get out of it? I
know 100Base is capable of 200 Mbps in full duplex mode. Any ISA cards match
that?

Also, how safe is it to buy from online auctions, like Ebay? There seems to
be tons of old hardware for sale there...

Thanx a lot for any input!

Arcady

Old ISA ethernet card - Recomendations?

Post by corga » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Remember with an ISA bus, you are at best going to get speeds of 25 to
33 MHz. Therefore, buying a 100 Mbit/sec (=100 MHz) card will simply
be overkill on an ISA bus.

I know personally of no 100 Mbit/sec ISA ethernet cards, but I
certainly am not the last word on the subject.  Linux supports NE2000
clone cards very well.  As far asperformance goes, unless you're going
to do IP mulicasting of MPEG video over your home network, a 10
Mbit/sec network should do fine until you upgrade all computers to PCI
bus.

I have had good success with www.egghead.com (the surplus direct
section) I have purchased well over 20 ISA ethernet cards (for Linux
machines) at prices ranging from 5.99 to 7.99 per card.  I have also
noticed on the site that if you miss a good deal, simply wait 2-3
weeks, and the same product will reappear.

Hope that helps.

Quote:>Hi all!

Post by Jason Cliffor » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I am going to network 2 computers. The other one already is a PCI
> full-duplex 100Base-TX/10Base-T with Reltek 8139 chip (ne2000 for PCI).

That is the wrong driver - you should be using the Realtek 8129/8139
driver (and getting the updated version from the authors site which is far
more stable than the one included in the kernel source even though they
show the same version number)

Quote:> What transmission speeds do you suppose I will be able to get out of it? I
> know 100Base is capable of 200 Mbps in full duplex mode. Any ISA cards match
> that?

To my knowledge only 3Com produce a 100baseT ISA network card as the ISA
bus is not ideal for such high bandwidth. I know nothing about the card
per se.

Jason Clifford
Definite Linux Systems
http://definite.ukpost.com/

Old ISA ethernet card - Recomendations?

Post by Jona » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Intel also makes a 100 Mbit isa card but it's very expensive. About 50 %
more than a PCI-card.

Post by W. Kierna » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all!

> Can you guys recomend what used ISA networking card should I buy?

Unless you have MS-DOS available don't get a 3C509.  You need to boot up
in DOS to use their utility to turn off Plug'n'play - so far as I know,
there's no way to trun off p'n'p on that card while running Linux.  Once
you have configured the 3C509 to be non-plug'n'play using 3Com's
3C5X9CFG.EXE program it works fine with Linux.  Of course it is only a
10mbps card.  To tell you the truth, I've never seen an ISA 100 mbps
card.  10 mbps is real fast when you only have two PCs, though.

Quote:> I am going to network 2 computers. The other one already is a PCI
> full-duplex 100Base-TX/10Base-T with Reltek 8139 chip (ne2000 for
> PCI). Should it influence my decision as to what to buy? I have heard
> that ne2000 clones are poor performers.

> What transmission speeds do you suppose I will be able to get out of
> it? I know 100Base is capable of 200 Mbps in full duplex mode. Any ISA
> cards match that?

> Also, how safe is it to buy from online auctions, like Ebay? There
> seems to be tons of old hardware for sale there...

I get brand new 3C509s for <$40, is that too high?  A while back I paid
$15 each for a couple brand new NE2000 cards in shrink-wrap.  The 100
mbps card I've had best results with, the Intel EtherExpress I think, is
less than $60 new.

Quote:> Thanx a lot for any input!

Sure no problem!  Good luck.

Old ISA ethernet card - Recomendations?

Post by GBP » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

If your going low end it may just be easier to buy new!

I saw ISA cards for $10 at buy.com and PCI 10-T/100 cards at $20.

I just bought a D-Link DFE-530TX form buy.com, its on the hardware
compatibility list, only $20.  PCi lots of features 10/100 etc etc.

http://buy.com
htpp://dlink.com

> Hi all!

> Can you guys recomend what used ISA networking card should I buy?

> I am going to network 2 computers. The other one already is a PCI
> full-duplex 100Base-TX/10Base-T with Reltek 8139 chip (ne2000 for PCI).
> Should it influence my decision as to what to buy? I have heard that ne2000
> clones are poor performers.

> What transmission speeds do you suppose I will be able to get out of it? I
> know 100Base is capable of 200 Mbps in full duplex mode. Any ISA cards match
> that?

> Also, how safe is it to buy from online auctions, like Ebay? There seems to
> be tons of old hardware for sale there...

> Thanx a lot for any input!

> Arcady

1. Configuring an *old* WD ISA EtherNet card...

I have a box which I put in an old WD ISA EtherNet card (the price was
right -- $5.00), but I cannot seem to get a network connection.  The card
has three network connectors: 10BaseT, AUI, and 10Base2 (thin coax).  I
would like to use the thin coax, but I suspect that the NV RAM or EEPROM
on the board wants to use either the 10BaseT or AUI.  Western Digital no
longer seems to even admit that they once make NICs.  This machine does
not have any flavor of MS-DOS or MS-Windows installed.  I'd like to know
if there exists a *linux* program that can diddle the NIC's on-board
config (NV RAM or EEPROM) to make the NIC use its 10Base2 (thin coax)
connector.

The card itself IS seen by the kernel:

Extracted from /var/log/messages:

May  8 20:29:44 smaug kernel: wd.c: Presently autoprobing (not recommended) for a single card.

May  8 20:29:44 smaug kernel: eth0: WD80x3 at 0x300, 00 00 C0 EE BA 71 WD8013, IRQ 10, shared memory at 0xcc000-0xcffff.

This is a RedHat 6.1 system: '486DX2-66, three ISA slots, 20meg of RAM
(an upgrade to 32meg is planned), a 4.1gig Seagate SCSI disk,
AHA-1540B, a Boca ATIO55 (2S1P), and the WD8013 NIC.  The motherboard
has 2 serial, 1 parallel, floppy, IDE, and PS/2 mouse port, and built
in SVGA controller.  I want to  use this box as a headless print server
(for two printers -- the Boca 2S1P board has both serial ports
disabled, and the parallel port set to lpt2).  It is old Dell Netplex
433/P system.

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

2. Lynx Problem with Apache Virtual Hosts

3. How to install Old ISA Ethernet card (Impossible)

4. HACMP and reconfg_too_long

5. ISA 16550 based serial port card recomendations?

6. XDM Error

7. Recomendations on good ISA SCSI-2 card (for DOS/Linux)

8. Inputing Function Keys:

9. X Windows and my old old old old video card

10. netatalk works with ISA ethernet card but not PCI card -- HELP

11. Recomendations for 10/100 PCMCIA/Cardbus ethernet card

12. Ethernet card recomendations

13. NE2000 ethernet cards recomendations for LINUX