PPP routing problem

Post by Sergei O. Naoumo » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi!
I am now setting up a PPP link from my work to home. Everything seems to
be working except the routing. The server is also a Linux box where IP4
forwarding is enabled. However, my pings still do not go further than
the server. One peculiar thing is that the network is cut onto the
segments of 32, so my mask in /etc/ppp/options is 225.255.255.224 but
this seems to be right.

Does anyone have any thought on why my routing is not working?

Thanks in advance,
                                Sergei

PPP routing problem

Post by Clifford Ki » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: I am now setting up a PPP link from my work to home. Everything seems to
: be working except the routing. The server is also a Linux box where IP4
: forwarding is enabled. However, my pings still do not go further than
: the server. One peculiar thing is that the network is cut onto the
: segments of 32, so my mask in /etc/ppp/options is 225.255.255.224 but
: this seems to be right.

: Does anyone have any thought on why my routing is not working?

It could be a lot of things.  You need the pppd defaultroute option at
home and the pppd proxyarp option at work.  You also need a home IP
address for the connection that belongs to the network at work.  For
the 2.2.x kernels you need IP forwarding turned on at work as well as
proxy arp turned on.  Turnon's are done by using "echo -n 1 > ..."
where ... is ip_forward in /proc/sys/net/ipv4 and proxy_arp in
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/ppp0 .

The pppd netmask on the work box likely should be the one above, on the
home box it should be 255.255.255.255 .

You might be interested in this link:

http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/dialin2.html

--

/* The signal-to-noise ratio is too low in many [news] groups to make
 * them good candidates for archiving.