eth0: mismatched read page pointers [number] vs. [number] error

eth0: mismatched read page pointers [number] vs. [number] error

Post by Kestutis Kupciuna » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

ive been setting up the network between two comps  and
encountered

        eth0: mismatched read page pointers [number] vs. [number] error

after trying ping/telnet/etc. and the second machine does not get
found. one machine is p120i 16Mb EDO ram and another one is a p200i MMX
with 32Mb SDRAM. both use the same cheapo pnp Compex RL2000a ISA cards
( ne2000 compatible ). both have 2.0.33 kernels.
ive got the cards recognized on both comps (some tweaking with isapnp),
and there were almost no problems with the first machine. However, the
second machine keeps flooding me with the error message %subj% whenever
i ping from one to another (both ways). ping doesnt get through.
the hardware is all ok, since ive managed to work the network in DRDOS.
ive ran out of HOWTO's and FAQ's. found only one somekind of similar
problem description in Ethernet-HOWTO, but there is only one advice -
upgrade  to 2.0.xx kernel - but ive tried 2.0.32 2.0.33 and even 2.1.95
kernels - all of them bring the same problem.

could anyone explain why such error raises and what does it mean?
maybe if i get hints on its meaning i could resolve the problem on my own.

please, any help is appreciated.

1. NexGen Ethernet (eth0: mismatched read page pointer c vs. d)

The error:

   eth0: mismatched read page pointer c vs. d

has been reported by a number of NexGen P80 and P90 owners who are
installing SMC EtherEZ and other cards into these ISA machines.
My to NexGen tech support resulted in them recommending the following
CMOS changes:

        a) Chipset-->ISA bus speed-->6
        b) Chipset-->DMA Clock-->"Block" and not "Block/2"

QUESTION: has anyone done this and does it work ?

We can't easily try this without disrupting many folks.

2. What is a Bus Error (SIGBUS)?

3. SMC EtherEZ: eth0: mismatched read page pointer c vs. d

4. Question

5. Why not base secr.tgz development outside US?

6. 09:42:31 AMD kernel: eth0: mismatched read page pointers 0 vs 5e.

7. Accton MPX ??

8. Message, eth0: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs 71?

9. kernel: eth0: mismatched read page pointers 0 vs <-- No Solutions ?

10. SMC EtherEZ: eth0: mismatched read page pointer c vs. d

11. eth0: mismatched read page pointers 1 vs 1???

12. NexGen: ethernet not working (eth0: mismatched read page pointer c vs. d)