PPP again, and again, and...

Post by Ken Farme » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

This is a post for PPP gurus who probably know this stuff backward and
forwards.  I am trying to start a PPP connection with my provider and so far
without success.
Following the books I have all the usual stuff -  /etc/resolv.conf   ,
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets   , and /etc/ppp/options files.  These are setup
according to the instructions of the provider (ibm.net) and generally agree
with my books.
The modem dials and connects but never transmits any connection info.  I
haven't been able to prove it yet, but I think that once that I am connected
the data path reverts back to the ethernet link.    I do a "route del
default" before running the PPPD command.  If I run it again I get a message
to the effect that the default route does not exist, so that tells me that I
did delete something.
However, the route -n command never shows a default route as in the books,
only the eth0 and io routes even though the route del default command runs
without error the first time.  And I never get a PPP route which appears to
be wrong also.
Eventually I will hack through the process and make it work, but I am more
interested in understanding the process than getting Netscape to run.

From the posts, I see that setting up PPP is a problem that most newbies
seem to stumble over.  Anybody got any ideas on the subject.

PPP again, and again, and...

Post by Monte Philli » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

This may seem bassackwards, BUT <G>

Sometimes when I get boxed into a corner with linux on a
complicated(to me) setup what I found woks best is to make the
simplest possible part work, in your case I'd do the following.

Get a copy of exnet or wvdial or both and make them run, they are
straight forward and simple.  When they work THEN start looking beyond
to a greater complexity of settings.  FWIW

g'Luk

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 22:40:13 -0500, "Ken Farmer"

Post by Daniel Wilso » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> From the posts, I see that setting up PPP is a problem that most newbies
> seem to stumble over.  Anybody got any ideas on the subject.

perhaps you are not specifying the defaultroute option when you run pppd
?

if you specify this option then pppd will make the default route thru
the ppp interface it just set up.

worth trying...

Dan