ifup eth1 gives error but successfully ups and works why?

ifup eth1 gives error but successfully ups and works why?

Post by kernel.lov » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:55:00



Hello,
       Why it happens that whenever i try to up interface which is
previously down by me  gives error. what should be wrong in my
configuration which is static IPs to eth0 and eth1


ipcalc: bad ip address: 10.0.0.
Error: an inet prefix is expected rather than "10.0.0./".

my configuration is
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:08:A1:43:61:F5
          inet addr:10.0.1.100  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:240 (240.0 b)
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0xbc00

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:48:C3:11:94
          inet addr:10.0.1.200  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:915 (915.0 b)  TX bytes:420 (420.0 b)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00

 
 
 

ifup eth1 gives error but successfully ups and works why?

Post by Unru » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:24:58



>Hello,
>       Why it happens that whenever i try to up interface which is
>previously down by me  gives error. what should be wrong in my
>configuration which is static IPs to eth0 and eth1

Maybe you should let us see what is in the config file for eth1 (eg
/etc/sysconfig/networ-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 on Redhat/Mandrake) so we could
see what you have in there.
Ie, how can we know what is wrong with your configuration if you do not
show the configuration file to us?

>ipcalc: bad ip address: 10.0.0.
>Error: an inet prefix is expected rather than "10.0.0./".
>my configuration is
>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:08:A1:43:61:F5
>          inet addr:10.0.1.100  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:240 (240.0 b)
>          Interrupt:9 Base address:0xbc00
>eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:48:C3:11:94
>          inet addr:10.0.1.200  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>          RX bytes:915 (915.0 b)  TX bytes:420 (420.0 b)
>          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00


 
 
 

ifup eth1 gives error but successfully ups and works why?

Post by Tauno Voipi » Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:28:49



> Hello,
>        Why it happens that whenever i try to up interface which is
> previously down by me  gives error. what should be wrong in my
> configuration which is static IPs to eth0 and eth1


> ipcalc: bad ip address: 10.0.0.
> Error: an inet prefix is expected rather than "10.0.0./".

> my configuration is
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:08:A1:43:61:F5
>           inet addr:10.0.1.100  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:240 (240.0 b)
>           Interrupt:9 Base address:0xbc00

> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:48:C3:11:94
>           inet addr:10.0.1.200  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:915 (915.0 b)  TX bytes:420 (420.0 b)
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00

Which distribution (Debian) ?

What is in the eth1 configuration specification file?

The error message says that there is a bad IP address specification
associated with eth1 ('10.0.0.' or '10.0.0./'), maybe a route or
gateway.

(In Debian, the file is /etc/network/interfaces).

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

 
 
 

ifup eth1 gives error but successfully ups and works why?

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:47:51




>> Hello,
>>        Why it happens that whenever i try to up interface which is
>> previously down by me  gives error. what should be wrong in my
>> configuration which is static IPs to eth0 and eth1


>> ipcalc: bad ip address: 10.0.0.
>> Error: an inet prefix is expected rather than "10.0.0./".

>> my configuration is
>> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:08:A1:43:61:F5
>>           inet addr:10.0.1.100  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
>>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>>           TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:240 (240.0 b)
>>           Interrupt:9 Base address:0xbc00

>> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:48:C3:11:94
>>           inet addr:10.0.1.200  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
>>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>>           RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>>           TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>>           RX bytes:915 (915.0 b)  TX bytes:420 (420.0 b)
>>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00

> Which distribution (Debian) ?

> What is in the eth1 configuration specification file?

> The error message says that there is a bad IP address specification
> associated with eth1 ('10.0.0.' or '10.0.0./'), maybe a route or
> gateway.

> (In Debian, the file is /etc/network/interfaces).

Both interfaces are on the same network (same local route), so only one of
those interfaces (1st matching in routing table) would actually be used
(unless more specific -host or -net routing was added, or advance routing
per Adv-Routing HOWTO).
 
 
 

ifup eth1 gives error but successfully ups and works why?

Post by kernel.lov » Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:26:43



> Which distribution (Debian) ?
Using Redhat 9

> What is in the eth1 configuration specification file?

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=10.0.1.200
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
BROADCAST=10.255.255.255
Quote:

> The error message says that there is a bad IP address specification
> associated with eth1 ('10.0.0.' or '10.0.0./'), maybe a route or
> gateway.

> (In Debian, the file is /etc/network/interfaces).

 
 
 

ifup eth1 gives error but successfully ups and works why?

Post by Tauno Voipi » Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:25:59




>>Which distribution (Debian) ?

> Using Redhat 9

>>What is in the eth1 configuration specification file?

> DEVICE=eth1
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=none
> IPADDR=10.0.1.200
> NETMASK=255.0.0.0
> TYPE=Ethernet
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=no
> NETWORK=10.0.0.0
> BROADCAST=10.255.255.255

>>The error message says that there is a bad IP address specification
>>associated with eth1 ('10.0.0.' or '10.0.0./'), maybe a route or
>>gateway.

>>(In Debian, the file is /etc/network/interfaces).

This seems to be OK. It seems that your script
is broken. The error message is clear.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

 
 
 

1. "SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable" on ifup eth1

hello all,
I'm building a firewall... and when I bring up the second card... I get the
error message "SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable"  here is some info about
my configureation.

Any clues as to why I would be getting this message?

Jonah

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE="eth0"
IPADDR="10.1.1.120"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
NETWORK="10.1.1.0"
BROADCAST="10.1.1.225"

ifcfg-eth1:
DEVICE="eth1"
IPADDR="192.168.2.1"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
NETWORK="192.168.2.0"
BROADCAST="192.168.2.255"
GATEWAY="10.1.1.120"

/etc/sysconfig
network:
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4="yes"
HOSTNAME="matl015ext"
GATEWAY="10.1.1.120"
GATEWAYDEV="eth0"

--
Posted via CNET Help.com
http://www.help.com/

2. V240 ALOM "Unknown" host

3. Network dies after ifup eth1

4. isapnpconf help!

5. ifup eth1 problem

6. Invalid /usr/include/asm symbolic link

7. ifup problem: Cannot set eth1 to 192.168.1.1 (RH7.2)

8. Free domain name service! Give you a free domain name

9. eth0 and eth1 "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and "Delaying eth1 Initialization" errors

10. Why eth1 doesn't work

11. Why does my eth1 not work

12. ifup ppp0 work but pppd can't work

13. Anyone successfully compile ups-2.45.2 for NetBSD1.1?