Conf. innd for internal news only

Post by hwk.. » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I am able to get innd up and running, however how do I change its
configuration to not send or receive feeds?  In other words, this will
be an internal discussion server with unique news groups and not part of
USENET.  Only users on this LAN will read and write messages.

Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Conf. innd for internal news only

Post by Sam Robert » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Or you could stop struggling and use 'sn'. Search on freshmeat.
It's a trivially simple to maintain newserver that does everything
we (at least) need: gatewaying of mailling lists to newsgroups,
mirroring usenet groups for us locally, and (the default) private/local
newsgroups. *really* easy to set up.

Sam

Previously, L J Bayuk wrote in comp.os.linux.networking:

> >I am able to get innd up and running, however how do I change its
> >configuration to not send or receive feeds?  In other words, this will
> >be an internal discussion server with unique news groups and not part of
> >USENET.  Only users on this LAN will read and write messages.

> Just don't make any 'real' feeds in your newsfeeds file (stops you
> from sending stuff to other servers), and incoming.conf doesn't allow
> anyone to feed you news. That is, "newsfeeds" has just your "ME:..." line,
> and maybe archive and overview. The default incoming.conf should be OK,
> as it allows no other servers in.

"News is very popular among its readers." - RFC 977 (NNTP)

Conf. innd for internal news only

Post by QuestionExchang » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> I am able to get innd up and running, however how do I change
its
> configuration to not send or receive feeds?  In other words,
this will
> be an internal discussion server with unique news groups and
not part of
> USENET.  Only users on this LAN will read and write messages.

> Thanks in advance.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hi - it's been awhile since I worked with INN, but most
sites handle this by establishing a unique prefix for
internal newsgroups.  AKA - yahoo.questions, yahoo.announce.
By creating your own prefix, you completely avoid
the issue of conflicting names with the usenet namespace.
If for some reason in the future, you wish to bring
in a real feed - you can do so without causing problems.
The answer to your real question about not forwarding
articles onward is simply to modify the newsfeeds file
or whichever file it is that specifies which groups get
sent to everyone.  The file starts with a list of all
well known newsgroup names and then lists for each news
hosts which groups you forward and disallow.  You can
just put in a !yahoo on any entries for external
inn servers there.
Note that by default there are expiration dates setup
for newsgroups - most companies want to keep internal
messages around forever in an archive.
That's all there is to it!
Let me know if you have any further questions by emailing

faq/documentation at www.isc.org!
Thanks,
Matt

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=7149&cus...

Conf. innd for internal news only

Post by hwk.. » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Got it working....thanks everyone for your pointers!

> > I am able to get innd up and running, however how do I change
> its
> > configuration to not send or receive feeds?  In other words,
> this will
> > be an internal discussion server with unique news groups and
> not part of
> > USENET.  Only users on this LAN will read and write messages.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> Hi - it's been awhile since I worked with INN, but most
> sites handle this by establishing a unique prefix for
> internal newsgroups.  AKA - yahoo.questions, yahoo.announce.
> By creating your own prefix, you completely avoid
> the issue of conflicting names with the usenet namespace.
> If for some reason in the future, you wish to bring
> in a real feed - you can do so without causing problems.
> The answer to your real question about not forwarding
> articles onward is simply to modify the newsfeeds file
> or whichever file it is that specifies which groups get
> sent to everyone.  The file starts with a list of all
> well known newsgroup names and then lists for each news
> hosts which groups you forward and disallow.  You can
> just put in a !yahoo on any entries for external
> inn servers there.
> Note that by default there are expiration dates setup
> for newsgroups - most companies want to keep internal
> messages around forever in an archive.
> That's all there is to it!
> Let me know if you have any further questions by emailing

> faq/documentation at www.isc.org!
> Thanks,
> Matt

> --
>   This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=7149&cus_id
=USENET&qtn_id=7204

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. INND for internal only news server

Hi,
           Here is the problem i am having... when i use netscape
newreader
i am authenticated to 'Post and Read' articles from the newsgroup i
created.
But when i attempt to 'Post' to the newsgroup i created by email by
name
of newsgroup i created i get nowhere. Not sure howto set this up. Do i
simply
do a useradd -u uid -g gid -d /which path should i make this? -c
"Comments"
-m -s /bin/whatshell? nameofnewgroup
Am i way off target here? Which files in /etc/news do i need to
adjust?
I have been digging into the files but am uncertain of which ones to
change
besides:
hosts.nntp - now includes my host ip address and localhost entry
inn.conf - i set fromhost: org: server: domain:
moderators - #ed out how is this best used anyhow?

Post'
passwd.nntp - i set to newserver and username password pair
Any others i need to set to get Internal newserver upright? This is a
Internal
only newserver so what am i missing in the solution? Thanking you in
advance for any help will also post to the list!

                                                Regards,

2. solaris and large file

3. in innd news server how to set some user can kill news ?

4. Fixed font problems

5. INN/nntp - news server for internal news?

6. Seeking Network Flight Recorder for Linux

7. INND ...what goes in inetd.conf?

8. using ping in a script--syntax

9. Newbie news with INND

10. help with innd and rc.news

11. Setting up INND News Server in Redhat 7.3

12. setting up a local news server using innd

13. /usr/lib/news/newsfeeds prob. for innd